Connect with us

National

FG Bars Salary Owing States From Accessing $2.69bn Paris Club Refund

Published

on

FG Bars Salary Owing States From Accessing $2.69bn Paris Club Refund

By Daily Hint     11/9/2018

The Federal Government has said states must clear the backlog of salaries and other related staff arrears before they would be able to access the remaining 2.69 billion dollars Paris Club Refund.

The Director of Information, Federal Ministry of Finance, Hassan Dodo, on Tuesday, said the Federal Government would commence phased payments of the refund to the states once the condition and several others were met.

“The DMO led the reconciliation process under the supervision of the Federal Ministry of Finance. The final approval of 2.69 billion dollars is subject to some conditions.

“Salary and staff related arrears must be paid as a priority. Also, the commitment to the commencement of the repayment of Budget Support Loans granted in 2016 must be made by all States.

“Furthermore, they must clear amounts due to the Presidential Fertiliser Initiative and make a commitment to clear matching grants from UBEC.

“This is in cases where some states have available funds which could be used to improve primary education and learning outcomes,” Dodo said in a statement.

It will be recalled that the issue of Paris Club loan over-deduction had been a long-standing dispute between the Federal Government and the state governments, dating back to 1995.

In response to the dispute, President Muhammadu Buhari directed that the claims of over-deduction should be formally and individually reconciled by the Debt Management Office, DMO.

This reconciliation commenced in November 2016.

As an interim measure to alleviate the financial challenges of the states during the 2016 recession, the President had approved that 50 per cent of the amounts claimed by States be paid to enable them a clear salary and pension arrears.

This approved sum was released to the states between December 1, 2016 and September 29, 2017.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Nigeria Army Mourns its Commander death as a result of Boko haram ambush

Published

on

Nigerian Army mourns its commander death as a result of Boko Haram ambush

By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri

The Nigerian Army and the Operation Lafiya Dole have lost a gallant commander in a Boko Haram ambushed after he led a successful clearance operation again at Boko Haram insurgents along Sabon Gari Wajirako axis in Damboa local government area of Borno state.

The Operation Lafiya Dole in a statement issued by ihe Deputy Director Army Public Relations ( DDAPR), spokesman, Col. Ado Isa said. “Operation LAFIYA DOLE wishes to intimate the general public of the demise of one of our gallant and finest war heroes Col DC Bako.”.

” It could be recalled that the professional, gallant senior officer who always led from the front and a patriotic Nigerian, led a patrol to clear Boko Haram Terrorists from Sabon Gari-Wajiroko axis near Damboa when his patrol team entered an ambush at about 10 a.m Sunday 20 September 2020. Under his able leadership, the troops cleared the ambush resulting to the killing of scores of terrorists and recovery of weapons and equipment,” the statement added.

The Army said “Sadly however, he was wounded in action and immediately evacuated by the Air Task Force Operation LAFIYA DOLE to the 7 Division Hospital at Maimalari Cantonment. The late senior officer was recuperating well after successful operation at the hospital, in good spirit and also said his prayers in the early hours of this morning before his sad passing on at the hospital. May Almighty Allah grant his soul eternal rest. Ameen. “

While comesurating with the bereaved family, the troops of the Operation Lafiya dole,, the Chief of Army Staff Lt Gen TY Buratai on behalf of himself, gallant troops of Operation LAFIYA DOLE and indeed well meaning Nigerians expressed heartfelt condolences to his esteemed family..

“We are most grateful for his contributions and sacrifices to the mother land. May God grant eternal rest to the gentle soul of Col DC Bako and the souls of all Nigerian Army officers and soldiers who paid the supreme prize in the defence of our father land,” General Buratai quoted to have said.

Continue Reading

National

Fuel, Electric hike, don’t take Nigerians for Granted, NANS tells FG

Published

on

Fuel, Electricity hike, don’t take Nigerians for granted, NANS tells FG

By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri

The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) has called in the federal government not to take Nigerians for granted as they protest the recent hike in the pump price of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) popularity known as petrol and electricity tariff.

The NANs in a protests led by the zonal Coordinator of NANS Zone “C” Comrade Suleiman Muhammad Sarki in Maiduguri on Monday were at the NUJ Press Centre, holding placards with several inscriptions such as, ‘Government should not be sadistic and thinks less of its citizens”, The dead is dying again, ” Increase of fuel price is too daring,”among others and singing all kind of solidarity songs against what they described the hike as the highly erroneous action of government against citizens at the time the world is recovering from COVID 19.

Comrade Sarki said ” We call on government to stop pushing Nigerians to wall. This is too daring; stop killing the dead. The country and indeed the whole world are facing serious problem right now due to covid19 pandemic, such mistaken decision is just as adding salt to injury.”

“Instead of dealing with insecurity, we are taking actions that will further heighten insecurity. The hike in petrol pump price will lead to hikes in price of goods and services.”, The NANS added.

The Association therefore condemn the increase in petrol price and electricity tarrif by federal government and call for the immediate reversal.

” We are not out of COVID 19, a lot of citizens are loosing their jobs, people are getting poorer and more responsibility, school closure, young people are roaming the streets unemployed, therefore fuel hike at this time is shocking”, the NANs further stressed

Comrade Sarki said Nigerians have gave this administration under President Bihari so many excuses than any other government in the history of Nigeria and therefore, called on the Federal government not to take Nigerians for granted.

Continue Reading

National

Set up Independent Panel to investigate Alleged Commercialization Counter Insurgency War – Group Tells FG

Published

on

Set up independent
Panel to investigate alleged comeilaluzation counter insurgency war – group tells FG

By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri

A group called Borno Emirate Concerned Citizens Forum (BECCF) has appealed to the Federal Government to constitute an independent investigation panel to investigate the alleged commercialization of war against insurgency in the Northeast.

The group at a press briefing held at the NUJ Press Centre, Maiduguri yesterday and led by it’s Chairman, Zannah Hassan Boguma the group called on the Federal Government to constitute an independent investigative panel to investigate the commercialization of the war against insurgency in the Northeast.

The group said ” regarding the commercialization of the war against the terrirists, the Forum holds similar view with the Borno state Governor, Prof. Babagana Zulum. Because, once the fundermentals behind the formation of this Forum is a report by the district head of Baga that some miscreant among the security forces are engaged in all sort of bussiness, including farming and fishing business in the fringes of Lake Chad’.

“We strongly condemn and urge the Nigerian government to bring those responsible for the horrific crime to justice,” Boguma stressed.

“The recent developments in the state including abduction of innocent people, attacked on Governor’s Motorrcade, terrorising innocent people and shedding blood, constitutes a form of Injustice can never be tolerated by all well meaning individuals in the state , which viewed them as gross crime and sinful acts which undermining the peaceful circumstance of the people of Borno state”, Boguma added.

The group urged the people of Borno state to unite against those terrorising them and those who.permits the killing of non.contants without justification stressing that Islam has declared the spilling of blood and the destruction of.property as obsolute prohibition until the Day of Judgement.

” We urge all well meaning individuals and groups to desists from the culture of silence to denounce the terrorists act and their sponsors by revealing thieir secrets and exposing their lies. We believed that the conservative nature of our people has seriously made enemies within and outside to take chance to create havoc on our society, the group stressed.

The group further said ” the Armed Forces should take cue their counterparts in Tchad Republic. If the President of Tchad, Idriss Debby Itno and his soldiers cleared and annihilated Boko Haram Terrorists in 8 days in their territory Why is it taking Over 10 years (not ten days ) for the Nigerian Armed Forces?, Therefore, we suggest that the Chief of Army Staff Lt General Tukur Buratai should lead the war and fish out the terrorists”.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 Daily Hint News. Designed by VIS Nigeria