Connect with us

Headlines

Jamal Khashoggi: A Saudi Insider Who Became an Exiled Critics

Published

on

Jamal Khashoggi: A Saudi Insider Who Became an Exiled Critic

By Donna Abu-Nasr | Bloomberg October 22/10/2018 

Jamal Khashoggi was one of Saudi Arabia’s most prominent journalists. He had been living in self-imposed exile in Virginia after leaving Saudi Arabia last year. Then, after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2, he disappeared. Turkish officials said he was killed inside. After repeatedly denying it, the Saudi government acknowledged that Khashoggi died there. Saudi officials, who detained 18 people in the case, say he was killed after “discussions” turned physical, an account European officials and some U.S. lawmakers cast doubt on.

1. Why was Khashoggi so prominent?

Khashoggi, 59, was a leading critic of Saudi Arabia’s current leadership, sharing his views via platforms including opinion columns in the Washington Post that began a year ago and were translated into Arabic. His journalism career included stints in Afghanistan, where he met and followed the rise of al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden in the 1980s. He was deputy editor-in-chief of the Saudi newspaper Arab News at the time of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the U.S., which made him a valuable source for foreign journalists seeking to understand what drove some Muslims into such actions. In the 2000s, he was twice fired from his post as editor-in-chief of the Saudi Al-Watan daily newspaper, which under his leadership ran stories, editorials and cartoons critical of extremists and the way in which the country enforced its religious values. (Saudi newspapers are privately owned but government-guided, and the government approves and can fire top leadership).

2. Why was he so well-known outside Saudi Arabia?

In part because, in between his Al-Watan stints, he was an adviser to the Saudi ambassador to London, Prince Turki Al-Faisal, a former long-serving intelligence chief. Then, in 2005, when the prince was appointed the Saudi envoy to the U.S., Khashoggi joined him as a media aide. Most recently Khashoggi worked as a columnist and commentator before leaving the kingdom for exile in the U.S. in June 2017.

3. Why did he go into exile?

He told friends and reporters that the space for freedom of speech under Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman was shrinking and he feared for his safety. In an appearance on Al Jazeera TV’s “Upfront” that aired in March, he said he’d left the kingdom “because I don’t want to be arrested.” On the worsening environment for journalists since Prince Mohammed took over, he said, “I got fired from my job twice because I was pushing for reform in Saudi Arabia. It wasn’t that easy but people were not being put in jails. There was a breathing space.”

4. What has he written?

Khashoggi didn’t see himself as a dissident but as a critic worried about the direction his country was going under its 33-year-old crown prince. In his first Washington Post column on Sept. 18, 2017, he wrote about his decision to leave Saudi Arabia: “I have left my home, my family and my job, and I am raising my voice. To do otherwise would betray those who languish in prison. I can speak when so many cannot. I want you to know that Saudi Arabia has not always been as it is now. We Saudis deserve better.”

In February, Khashoggi wrote that Prince Mohammed maybe “should learn from the British royal house that has earned true stature, respect and success by trying a little humility himself. If MBS can listen to his critics and acknowledge that they, too, love their country, he can actually enhance his power.” In one of his last columns, he urged Prince Mohammed to end the war he started on Yemen more than three years ago.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

Police in Borno Inaugurates Area and Divisional Community Policing Committee

Published

on

Police in Borno Inaugurates area and divisional community policing  committee

By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri

In it’s commitment to ensure crime free society, the Borno state Police Command has Inaugurated Area command and Divisional Police community policing initiatives across the 27 local government areas and divisions.

Inaugurating the committee at the police headquarters, Maiduguri on Monday, the Assistant Inspector General of Police in charge of zone 15, AIG Lawan Ado said ” the community policing initiatives is intelligence base policing initiative aimed at nipping on burd crime within the siciety.”

“The community policing initiatives is to involve all stakeholders in such as traditional rulers, chairmen local government area, hunters, vigilantes, Civilian Joint Task Force ( CJTF), Road Transport Workers Unions, Business associations, community Base organizations among others in policing their communites”, AIG Ado said

He said ” the committees which includes police advisory committee and community policing committee at both area and divisional levels would not only providing intelligence to the police but settle small, small disputes within their communities, thereby facilitate quick depensation of Justice”.

Also in his remarks, the Borno state commissioner of Police, Mohammed Ndatsu said ” the community knows itself, everyone knows who is who in the community,and should be in better position to report any persons trying to commit the crime before they commit it. also urge the community to screened very well the members of the committee, so as not nominate criminals that would undermine the aim of the committee”

” The presence of people of questionable character in the committee will give room for the person to reveal the strategy of the committee to the police rather than giving useful information io the security”, he added.

Earlier speaking, the chairman Borno state Community policing Committee, Alhaji Sanda Sheriff said ” I want to assured the police that we will work together to ensure crime free society. We will also be addressing some civil and some minor case at the community level before even getting to police station”.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Borno NDLEA Destroys 19, 234 Kg of Seized Drugs And Illicit Substances Worth Billions Of Naira

Published

on

Borno NDLEA destroys 19.234 kg of seized drugs and illicit substances worth billions of Naira

By Madu Mohammed Maiduguri

Inline with constitutiinal provision, the Borno state Command of National Drugs Law Enforcement Agency ( NDLEA), has seized and destroyed 19,234 kilograms of Nacotic and iilicit substances Intercepted from drug traffickers, couriers and users within the state.

Speaking at the destruction of the seized items in Maiduguri on Friday, the Chairman National Drugs Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, Rtd Col. Mohammed Abdallah said ” I am delighted to attend the destruction of Nacotic and iliicit substances seized by the Borno state command of the NDLEA. The first time since my assumption as the chairman of the Agency. What you are seeing here today it could have been consumed by our youths.

“To us in NDLEA this ilicit substances are worthless, because our job is to safeguard every single life, whatever it cost, is not important to us and we don’t care. Our job in NDLEA is to ensure, that drugs and ilicit substances are destroyed and all their dealers, couriers and transporters are kept out of business”, the NDLEA chairman stated.

He Commended the military, police, NSCDC and other sister security agencies for the collaboration a BD synergy as ND urged them to continue to work together to fight against illicit drugs and substances is a collective fight meant

He said those most affected by the ilicit drugs and substances are the youths, which are the future of the nation, stressing that government’s at all levels must invest heavily in rehabilitation and treatment of the victims of drugs and ilicits substances be users.

In his remarks, the Borno state Governor, Professor Babagana Zulum said ” today we are witnessing yet another milestone in Borno by destroying about 20,000 kilograms of Nacotic and ilicit drugs and substances . This is a great achievement for us in Borno. Recent media reports indicates that Kano, Borno and Niger states have the highest cases of drugs and illicit substances. This worrisome because the users are mostly our youths who are our future, hence we need to.do something urgently to safe our Future”

” The consequences of these are the challenges of raping, Gender Base Violence kidnaping and other security challenges we are witnessing today.Therefore there is need for collective efforts and collaboration to fight the menace. I urge all stakeholders especially NDLEA, police, customs, NAFDAC, Pharmacy council of Nigeria to work collective, as the mind drugs and ilucit substances traffickers and users are dynamic”, Governor zulum said.

He assured of his administration support and partnership to eraducate drug and illicit substances in the state and country in general

Also speaking, the Borno state Chairman of the Task force against ilicit drugs and substances and the Attorney General of the state, Barrister KakaShehu Lawan said “His Excellency, Governor Babagana Zulum has directed that all expired drugs should be mob out of all General hospital both government and private hospitals.. He also approved the destruction of all drugs and other illicit substances in the custody of the police.’

Earlier in his welcome address, the Borno state commander of the NDLEA, Mr. Joseph Iche said ” today we are witnessing the destruction of 19. 234 kilograms of drugs and Illicit substances worth billion of Naira, which consists of canabis Sativa , cocaine, heroin, expired drugs and other illicit substances intercepted and sized in the state.”

He thanked the NDLEA chairman for his support and mentoring without which the achievement could not be possible and also commended the Borno.state government, the military and other sister security agencies for the synergy and urged them to continue to work with the NDLEA.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Unspecified number of soldiers feared dead, as Military repelled Boko Haram on Kukawa

Published

on

Unspecified number of solders feared Dead, as military repelled Boko Haram attack on Kukawa

By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri

Unspecified number of soldiers were said killed when members of Boko Haram .insurgents attacked security operatives providing cover to excavator drilling trenches to provide sheild recently relocated resident of Kukawa town the headquarters of Kukawa Local Government area of Borno State. Source said.

It could be recalled that Kukawa town which has remained a ghost town for some years last week witnessed a massive return of its Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) following Government’s effort and directives to relocate all IDPs back to their ancestral homes.

A resident of Kukawa town who fled back to Maiduguri and does not want his name in print told newsmen on Wednesday that the insurgents who came in several  gun trucks and attacked military personnel.providing security cover to the operator of excavator digging trenches round the town.

” The insurgents who came in red turbans driving many gun trucks attached the military personnel providing security cover to the workers. When civilian were running they said don’t run we did not came because of you but the military personnel”, he added.

Another resident of the town, Ibrahim Idi said ” yes the insurgents who came on several gun truck attacked soldiers providing security protection to some military personnel and killing 4 soldiers, immediately on hearing the gun shot the troops mobilized and brought reinforcement where they successfully repelled the attack”.

Kukawa town in northern Borno was few kilometers away from Baga town where Governor Babagana Zulum’s convoy was attacked by the insurgents.

Even last Monday, some Boko Haram Insurgents also invaded Magumeri local Government Headquarters razed down general hospital Magumeri, service Mars and some muniuspal buildings

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 Daily Hint News. Designed by VIS Nigeria