Connect with us

Headlines

Buhari: I’ll not Complain again about Nigeria’s Problems

Published

on

Buhari: I’ll not complain again about Nigeria’s problems

By Haruna Yusuf Abuja 4/12/2018

President Muhammadu Buhari on Sunday promised that he will no longer complain about the problems his administration met at its inception.

According to him, lamenting Nigeria’s history of corruption and mismanagement of resources has not helped his administration much.

The President spoke during his interaction with Nigerians at the Kraków Holiday Inn , Poland, an event put together by Abike Dabiri, Senior Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora, as part of his engagements on the sidelines of the global summit on Climate Change taking place in Poland.

Instead of complaining, Buhari said, he will face the challenges head on.

His words: “We inherited so many problems. Actually, l have said l will not complain because l asked for it. I tried to become President three times and l lost , but l was lucky the fourth time, l became one, so l can’t complain”

“Who asked me to do it again? Three times l ended up in the Supreme Court. The third time, l said, ‘God dey’ and the fourth time, God and technology, using the Permanent Voters Card and the Card Readers, they couldn’t rig the elections; so l won.”

Buhari also expressed delight at the resilience of Nigerians in Poland, which he said had helped them maintain good relationship with their host communities despite such cases of hostilities and racial discrimination.

The President had earlier been briefed about the challenges Nigerians face in Poland as well as their relative good behavior despite the hostility and discriminations by some of their hosts.

The President had told his audience that he will attempt to respond to the questions raised by them, even though they might not be satisfied with his responses.

“You may not be satisfied with my answers, but l will be very sincere with you, as l keep trying to do with all our people where ever they are,” he said.

On security, Buhari said he had always taken it as his No 1 priority, because of the understanding that any investments drive will be useless without first securing the environment.

“It just makes sense. You have to secure our country or even the institutions or environment to manage it properly. If they are not secured, you are wasting your time. So, security has always been our number one priority.”

“Those in the Northeast will tell you that before we came, the so called Boko Haram used to hold about 17 local governments; now, physically , they are not holding any local government. So they have resulted to real guerilla tactics of hit and run.

“They mobilise, hit targets and then disappear again because they know the area more than the soldiers that are defending them. Our soldiers, are from Port Harcourt, Lagos, Sokoto, but they are locally there and know the terrain more than the soldiers.

He lamented that “it is not easy financing the war against terror”.

Earlier, the Nigerian Ambassador to Poland , Eric Adagogo Bell-Gam, in his welcome remarks, had said that some Nigerians in Poland were stable professionally.

He also noted that there were many Nigerians studying in Poland because of the relative cheap nature and quality of the country’s educational system.

The ambassador lamented however, that Nigerians were like other non- Polish citizens, subjects of racial discrimination, as according to him, “ there is a very high problem of animosity, dislike for foreigners”

“Even in Nigeria, we have this spectacular problem if getting visas from their embassy there. I used to ask them, you want to improve relationships with Nigeria, yet you don’t want our people to come. How do we improve?

“From my perspective, l do not know about others, l found them a little bit less friendly to us than my encounters in other parts of the world where l have been lucky to serve.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

Coronavirus ; Pangolins found to carry viruses related to covid -19

Published

on

Coronavirus: Pangolins found to carry viruses related to Covid-19

Source BBC

A trafficked pangolin in Kuala Lumpur: The animal is a suspect in the outbreak
Pangolins smuggled into China have been confirmed to contain viruses closely related to the one sweeping the world.

Sale of the animals in wildlife markets should be strictly prohibited to minimise the risk of future outbreaks, says an international team.

Pangolins are the most-commonly illegally trafficked mammal, used both as food and in traditional medicine.

Bats are thought to be the original viral source, with another species playing a role in human transmission.

In a new research paper, published in the journal Nature, researchers say their genetic data suggests “handling these animals requires considerable caution, and that their sale in wet markets should be strictly prohibited.”

Further surveillance on pangolins in the wild in China and Southeast Asia is needed to understand their role in the emergence of coronaviruses and the risk of future transmission to humans, they add.

The ant-devouring scaly mammal, said to be the most widely trafficked mammal in the world, is threatened with extinction. The animal’s scales are in high demand in Asia for use in traditional Chinese medicine, while pangolin meat is considered a delicacy by some.

 

 

Continue Reading

Headlines

Operation Lafiya Dole arrests 8 suspected Boko Haram, ISWAP logistic suppliers, destroys 6 vehicles loaded with logistics

Published

on

Prev1 of 2
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse

Operation Lafiya Dole arrests 8 suspected Boko Haram, ISWAP logistic suppliers, destroys 6 vehicles loaded with logistics

By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri

The Operation Lafiya Dole theater Command has arrested 8 suspected Boko Haram insurgents and ISWAP, logistuc suppliers and destroyed 6 vehicles belonging to them loaded with food and assorted provision in its efforts to block all its logistic chain.

Briefing newsmen shortly before the destruction along Gubio Road Maiduguri yesterday,, the Acting General Officer Commanding 7 Division of the Nigerian Army, Brigadier General Abdul Ibrahim.said “the vehicles we are going to destroy today were intetcepted base on intelligence reports. We had an information that some unpatriotic element supplied food and non food items from the hinterland and take it’s to the Boko Haram, ISWAP” in the bushes.”

General Ibrahim who is also the commander sector 1 of the Operation Lafiya Dole said ” we cary out diligent nvestigations before we carry out the destruction, it may be nteresting to know that some of the suspects were arrested before and in the cause of investigation we released them but you can see that we rearrested them again. We do dilegent investagions, if not you can see vehicles moving on the road, we would have arrested them and say they are insurgents logistic supplies.

“So we do thorough investigations before their vehicles are destroyed to serve as deterant to those still engage in this illicit bussines of logistic suppliers to the Boko Haram Investigation is still on going and they be soon charged to court,, the GOC stated.

” We have been warning the general public through jingles and press releases of the danger of this illicit and illegal bussinesd but they choose to remain adamant . it was clear in our investigation that they are taking items to the insurgents in the Bush. We are destroying these vehicles to serve as deterrent to others who engage in this act,” General Ibrahim added.

He said ” the vehickes which were intercepted about three weeks ago carrying contrabanned items which includes foodstuffs, fish, milk, mattress, spare parts . Cooking oil among other items to the Boko Haram and ISWAP in the Bush. ”

According to him, 10 peoples were arrested in connection with illigal business and that investigations have so far revealed that 8 people are involved in the illegal business, where the insurgents gives them money to supply the items for them, while investigation on two others are still ongoing.

Prev1 of 2
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse

Continue Reading

Headlines

Covid -19 ; UMTH developed hand sanitiser, antiseptic

Published

on

Covid-19: UMTH developed hand sanitiser, antiseptic

By Askirama, Maiduguri

The University of Maiduguri Teching Hospital (UMTH) has developed hand sanitizer and antiseptic for its local use in the hospital as part of sanitary measures to check risks of Covid-19 and Lassa fever.

The Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Prof. Ahmed Ahijo, made this known on Friday in Maiduguri.

Ahijo said that the development had saved the hospital a lot of fund used to be spent on imported sanitisers, particularly with the outbreak of Lassa fever and Coronavirus.

“Following the outbreak of Lassa fever and Coronavirus, we realised that we have to buy a lot of water sanitisers in the hospital and the cost is very much to us.

“So, I called the pharmacists and say why not we produce our own. I looked at the Act that established the hospital which gave us the backing of the law to do so.

“We have produced for our local consumption for now. We are thinking maybe we can extend it to the society and other institutions,” Ahijo said.

The chief medical director assured that with time the hospital would take steps to patent the product as prescribed by law.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 Daily Hint News.