Soldiers abscond with GOC’s millions
by Daily Hint July 15, 2019
arrested as Army begins investigation
The Nigerian Army said yesterday that investigation has commenced into the case involving some soldiers who allegedly carted away a consignment while on escort duty from Sokoto to Kaduna.
A source revealed that the consignment was containing cash amounting to millions of naira which they were asked to deliver by a VIP.
The Army gave the names of the runaway soldiers as Cpl. Gabriel Oluwaniyi, Cpl. Mohammed Aminu, LCpl. Commander Haruna, LCpl. Oluji Joshua, and LCpl. Hayatudeen.
They were said to be members of Operation Harbin Kunama III in Sokoto.
Spokesman for the 8 Division, Nigerian Army, Sokoto, Lieutenant Audu Arigu, who confirmed that the soldiers fled while on escort duty, said “The wanted soldiers were detailed for legitimate escort duty for a VIP. However, they chose to rob the VIP
“Investigation has commenced to unravel the circumstances and whereabouts of the soldiers.” Lieutenant Arigu was however silent on the identity of the VIP robbed by the fleeing soldiers or the total amount of money or valuables they took from him.
A credible source with knowledge of what happened told the Daily Trust last night that the said VIP is Maj. Gen. Hakeem Otiki, the GOC of the 8 Div. Nigerian Army Sokoto.
He said contrary to reports, the GOC was not in the convoy when the escorts absconded, saying the GOC only detailed them from Sokoto to deliver the message.
“The GOC or the said VIP couldn’t have been in the convoy, it didn’t add up…He only sent them based on trust,” he said.
The source, who does not want to be mentioned because of the sensitive nature of the matter, said the “consignment” definitely belonged to the GOC of 8 Division Sokoto.
“The money is definitely huge, most probably hundreds of millions,” he said.
Two of the runaway soldiers arrested
According to the source, “It is normal in the military, every senior person has his trusted foot soldiers; some officers even entrust their families and top secrets to such soldiers and this is what played out with the GOC in Sokoto; he entrusted them with the money and they fled with it.
“Again, I want to assure that two of the absconding soldiers have been arrested and there is the high probability that the rest would also be arrested. I will not tell you the names, the Army will reveal the names very soon.
“However, the damage has been done. As a matter of protocol, the arrested soldiers would be asked the source of the money; who authorised them to use the vehicles and many other questions. The discovery will be a bad day for many people,” the source said.
Daily Trust reports that until his deployment to Sokoto as GOC, General Otiki was the Commander Infantry Corps (CIC) in Jaji, Kaduna State.
It was gathered that all the absconding soldiers now being trailed by the Nigerian Army were also from Jaji but moved to Sokoto at the instance of Gen. Otiki.
Sources said the soldiers left Sokoto on Tuesday, July 11 en route Abuja but decided to abort the mission around Jaji.
“The real target of the absconding soldiers was the money because they abandoned the Hilux, the gun trucks, their uniforms and guns,” our source said.
“And when they couldn’t reach their destination and couldn’t go back to Sokoto, there was disquiet and agitation at the highest quarters in Sokoto.
“The rumour began to circulate in the barracks and when it was evident that what happened had been leaked, a scanty statement was issued,” the source added.
Nigeria Army Mourns its Commander death as a result of Boko haram ambush
Nigerian Army mourns its commander death as a result of Boko Haram ambush
By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri
The Nigerian Army and the Operation Lafiya Dole have lost a gallant commander in a Boko Haram ambushed after he led a successful clearance operation again at Boko Haram insurgents along Sabon Gari Wajirako axis in Damboa local government area of Borno state.
The Operation Lafiya Dole in a statement issued by ihe Deputy Director Army Public Relations ( DDAPR), spokesman, Col. Ado Isa said. “Operation LAFIYA DOLE wishes to intimate the general public of the demise of one of our gallant and finest war heroes Col DC Bako.”.
” It could be recalled that the professional, gallant senior officer who always led from the front and a patriotic Nigerian, led a patrol to clear Boko Haram Terrorists from Sabon Gari-Wajiroko axis near Damboa when his patrol team entered an ambush at about 10 a.m Sunday 20 September 2020. Under his able leadership, the troops cleared the ambush resulting to the killing of scores of terrorists and recovery of weapons and equipment,” the statement added.
The Army said “Sadly however, he was wounded in action and immediately evacuated by the Air Task Force Operation LAFIYA DOLE to the 7 Division Hospital at Maimalari Cantonment. The late senior officer was recuperating well after successful operation at the hospital, in good spirit and also said his prayers in the early hours of this morning before his sad passing on at the hospital. May Almighty Allah grant his soul eternal rest. Ameen. “
While comesurating with the bereaved family, the troops of the Operation Lafiya dole,, the Chief of Army Staff Lt Gen TY Buratai on behalf of himself, gallant troops of Operation LAFIYA DOLE and indeed well meaning Nigerians expressed heartfelt condolences to his esteemed family..
“We are most grateful for his contributions and sacrifices to the mother land. May God grant eternal rest to the gentle soul of Col DC Bako and the souls of all Nigerian Army officers and soldiers who paid the supreme prize in the defence of our father land,” General Buratai quoted to have said.
Fuel, Electric hike, don’t take Nigerians for Granted, NANS tells FG
Fuel, Electricity hike, don’t take Nigerians for granted, NANS tells FG
By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri
The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) has called in the federal government not to take Nigerians for granted as they protest the recent hike in the pump price of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) popularity known as petrol and electricity tariff.
The NANs in a protests led by the zonal Coordinator of NANS Zone “C” Comrade Suleiman Muhammad Sarki in Maiduguri on Monday were at the NUJ Press Centre, holding placards with several inscriptions such as, ‘Government should not be sadistic and thinks less of its citizens”, The dead is dying again, ” Increase of fuel price is too daring,”among others and singing all kind of solidarity songs against what they described the hike as the highly erroneous action of government against citizens at the time the world is recovering from COVID 19.
Comrade Sarki said ” We call on government to stop pushing Nigerians to wall. This is too daring; stop killing the dead. The country and indeed the whole world are facing serious problem right now due to covid19 pandemic, such mistaken decision is just as adding salt to injury.”
“Instead of dealing with insecurity, we are taking actions that will further heighten insecurity. The hike in petrol pump price will lead to hikes in price of goods and services.”, The NANS added.
The Association therefore condemn the increase in petrol price and electricity tarrif by federal government and call for the immediate reversal.
” We are not out of COVID 19, a lot of citizens are loosing their jobs, people are getting poorer and more responsibility, school closure, young people are roaming the streets unemployed, therefore fuel hike at this time is shocking”, the NANs further stressed
Comrade Sarki said Nigerians have gave this administration under President Bihari so many excuses than any other government in the history of Nigeria and therefore, called on the Federal government not to take Nigerians for granted.
Set up Independent Panel to investigate Alleged Commercialization Counter Insurgency War – Group Tells FG
Set up independent
Panel to investigate alleged comeilaluzation counter insurgency war – group tells FG
By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri
A group called Borno Emirate Concerned Citizens Forum (BECCF) has appealed to the Federal Government to constitute an independent investigation panel to investigate the alleged commercialization of war against insurgency in the Northeast.
The group at a press briefing held at the NUJ Press Centre, Maiduguri yesterday and led by it’s Chairman, Zannah Hassan Boguma the group called on the Federal Government to constitute an independent investigative panel to investigate the commercialization of the war against insurgency in the Northeast.
The group said ” regarding the commercialization of the war against the terrirists, the Forum holds similar view with the Borno state Governor, Prof. Babagana Zulum. Because, once the fundermentals behind the formation of this Forum is a report by the district head of Baga that some miscreant among the security forces are engaged in all sort of bussiness, including farming and fishing business in the fringes of Lake Chad’.
“We strongly condemn and urge the Nigerian government to bring those responsible for the horrific crime to justice,” Boguma stressed.
“The recent developments in the state including abduction of innocent people, attacked on Governor’s Motorrcade, terrorising innocent people and shedding blood, constitutes a form of Injustice can never be tolerated by all well meaning individuals in the state , which viewed them as gross crime and sinful acts which undermining the peaceful circumstance of the people of Borno state”, Boguma added.
The group urged the people of Borno state to unite against those terrorising them and those who.permits the killing of non.contants without justification stressing that Islam has declared the spilling of blood and the destruction of.property as obsolute prohibition until the Day of Judgement.
” We urge all well meaning individuals and groups to desists from the culture of silence to denounce the terrorists act and their sponsors by revealing thieir secrets and exposing their lies. We believed that the conservative nature of our people has seriously made enemies within and outside to take chance to create havoc on our society, the group stressed.
The group further said ” the Armed Forces should take cue their counterparts in Tchad Republic. If the President of Tchad, Idriss Debby Itno and his soldiers cleared and annihilated Boko Haram Terrorists in 8 days in their territory Why is it taking Over 10 years (not ten days ) for the Nigerian Armed Forces?, Therefore, we suggest that the Chief of Army Staff Lt General Tukur Buratai should lead the war and fish out the terrorists”.
Headlines2 years ago
Bombshell: How Corrupt Brigadier General Clement Apere Deliberately Sends Soldiers to Die in the hands Of Boko-Haram
National8 months ago
Nigerian Army Bans Another NGO from operating in the Northeast
Headlines2 years ago
Oil License Not Renewable-President Buhari
National7 months ago
Baga communities are now safe, return back home, operation lafiya Dole tells people of Baga and it’s adjoining villages
Politics3 months ago
Ruling Borno is like Ruling a Small Country, I saw my children only 3 times in the first 65 days in office – Gov. Zulum
Metro2 years ago
FMC Yola Jummat Mosque Is One Year: Time Utilisation, The Last Qutba
Opinion2 years ago
MAI MALA BUNI THE CELEBRITY OF THE MOMENT
Opinion2 years ago
YOBE 2019: Why Maimala Buni Will Emerge Winner