Connect with us

National

Our Men Mistook Slain Policemen for kidnappers, Nigerian Army Says

Published

on

Our men mistook slain policemen for kidnappers, Nigerian Army says

by Daily Hint Abuja 8/8/2019

The Nigerian army has accepted responsibility of the death of three policemen and one civilian on Tuesday in Taraba State noting that soldiers mistook the slain quartet as kidnappers.

Army spokesman, Colonel Sagir Musa, who confirmed the development said troops of the 93 Battalion in Takum, engaged the quartet in exchange of fire when the policemen allegedly refused to stop at three checkpoints.

Buttressing his point further, Musa noted that at the time the incident happened, the soldiers were on the trail of kidnappers after receiving a distress call that someone had been kidnapped.

It turned out, he said, that the people attacked were members of the IG Intelligence Response Team from the Police Headquarters Abuja.

The Army spokesman said an inquest into the ugly incident has commenced following the commission of a joint investigation committee headed by the Deputy Inspector General of Police in charge of Force Criminal Investigations Department, DIG Mike Ogbizi.

“The attention of the Army Headquarters has been drawn to the Press Release by DCP Frank Mba, Force Public Relations Officer, on the unfortunate incident that occurred on the 6th of August 2019 in which troops of 93 Battalion Nigerian Army Takum pursued and exchanged fire with some suspected Kidnappers who indeed turned out to be an Intelligence Response Team from the Police Force Headquarters Abuja on a covert assignment from Abuja resulting in the death and injury of some members of the Team.

“On the 6th of August 2019, the said Nigerian Army troops, while responding to a distressed call to rescue a kidnapped victim exchanged fire with the suspected kidnappers along Ibi-Wukari Road in Taraba State.

“The suspected kidnappers numbering about ten (10) and driving in a white bus with Reg No LAGOS MUS 564 EU refused to stop when they were halted by troops at three consecutive check points.

“The flagrant refusal of the suspected kidnappers to stop at the three checkpoints prompted a hot pursuit of the fleeing suspects by the troops.

“It was in this process that the suspected kidnappers who were obviously armed opened fire at the troops sporadically thus prompting them to return fire.

“In the resultant fire fight, four (4) suspects were shot and died on the spot while four (4) others sustained various degrees of gunshot wounds and 2 others reportedly missing.

“It was only after this avoidable outcome that one of the wounded suspects disclosed the fact that they were indeed Policemen dispatched from Nigerian Police, Force Headquarters, Abuja for a covert assignment.

“However, following inquiries from a Police Station officer who was asked by the commander of the Army troops whether he was aware of any Nigerian Police team being dispatched to operate in the LGA, the Divisional Police Officer of Ibi Police Division responded that he was not informed about any operation by the Nigerian Police Force Headquarters thus lending credence to the distressed call from members of the community that the suspects who turned out to be Policemen on a covert mission were rather suspected kidnappers.

“This incident is indeed quite unfortunate and could have been avoided through proper coordination and liaison as the Nigerian Police Force are partners in the fight against crimes such as kidnapping amongst myriads of other internal security threats confronting our nation of which the Nigerian Police is the lead Agency.

“In order to avert future occurrences of this nature, the Army Headquarters and the Force Headquarters of the Nigerian Police have agreed to constitute a Joint investigation Panel to be headed by the Deputy Inspector General of Police in charge of Criminal Investigation Department, DIG Mike Ogbizi, to jointly investigate and report on the true circumstances surrounding the unfortunate incident.

“Therefore, until the Joint Investigation Panel concludes and submits its repor

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Nigeria Army Mourns its Commander death as a result of Boko haram ambush

Published

on

Nigerian Army mourns its commander death as a result of Boko Haram ambush

By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri

The Nigerian Army and the Operation Lafiya Dole have lost a gallant commander in a Boko Haram ambushed after he led a successful clearance operation again at Boko Haram insurgents along Sabon Gari Wajirako axis in Damboa local government area of Borno state.

The Operation Lafiya Dole in a statement issued by ihe Deputy Director Army Public Relations ( DDAPR), spokesman, Col. Ado Isa said. “Operation LAFIYA DOLE wishes to intimate the general public of the demise of one of our gallant and finest war heroes Col DC Bako.”.

” It could be recalled that the professional, gallant senior officer who always led from the front and a patriotic Nigerian, led a patrol to clear Boko Haram Terrorists from Sabon Gari-Wajiroko axis near Damboa when his patrol team entered an ambush at about 10 a.m Sunday 20 September 2020. Under his able leadership, the troops cleared the ambush resulting to the killing of scores of terrorists and recovery of weapons and equipment,” the statement added.

The Army said “Sadly however, he was wounded in action and immediately evacuated by the Air Task Force Operation LAFIYA DOLE to the 7 Division Hospital at Maimalari Cantonment. The late senior officer was recuperating well after successful operation at the hospital, in good spirit and also said his prayers in the early hours of this morning before his sad passing on at the hospital. May Almighty Allah grant his soul eternal rest. Ameen. “

While comesurating with the bereaved family, the troops of the Operation Lafiya dole,, the Chief of Army Staff Lt Gen TY Buratai on behalf of himself, gallant troops of Operation LAFIYA DOLE and indeed well meaning Nigerians expressed heartfelt condolences to his esteemed family..

“We are most grateful for his contributions and sacrifices to the mother land. May God grant eternal rest to the gentle soul of Col DC Bako and the souls of all Nigerian Army officers and soldiers who paid the supreme prize in the defence of our father land,” General Buratai quoted to have said.

Continue Reading

National

Fuel, Electric hike, don’t take Nigerians for Granted, NANS tells FG

Published

on

Fuel, Electricity hike, don’t take Nigerians for granted, NANS tells FG

By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri

The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) has called in the federal government not to take Nigerians for granted as they protest the recent hike in the pump price of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) popularity known as petrol and electricity tariff.

The NANs in a protests led by the zonal Coordinator of NANS Zone “C” Comrade Suleiman Muhammad Sarki in Maiduguri on Monday were at the NUJ Press Centre, holding placards with several inscriptions such as, ‘Government should not be sadistic and thinks less of its citizens”, The dead is dying again, ” Increase of fuel price is too daring,”among others and singing all kind of solidarity songs against what they described the hike as the highly erroneous action of government against citizens at the time the world is recovering from COVID 19.

Comrade Sarki said ” We call on government to stop pushing Nigerians to wall. This is too daring; stop killing the dead. The country and indeed the whole world are facing serious problem right now due to covid19 pandemic, such mistaken decision is just as adding salt to injury.”

“Instead of dealing with insecurity, we are taking actions that will further heighten insecurity. The hike in petrol pump price will lead to hikes in price of goods and services.”, The NANS added.

The Association therefore condemn the increase in petrol price and electricity tarrif by federal government and call for the immediate reversal.

” We are not out of COVID 19, a lot of citizens are loosing their jobs, people are getting poorer and more responsibility, school closure, young people are roaming the streets unemployed, therefore fuel hike at this time is shocking”, the NANs further stressed

Comrade Sarki said Nigerians have gave this administration under President Bihari so many excuses than any other government in the history of Nigeria and therefore, called on the Federal government not to take Nigerians for granted.

Continue Reading

National

Set up Independent Panel to investigate Alleged Commercialization Counter Insurgency War – Group Tells FG

Published

on

Set up independent
Panel to investigate alleged comeilaluzation counter insurgency war – group tells FG

By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri

A group called Borno Emirate Concerned Citizens Forum (BECCF) has appealed to the Federal Government to constitute an independent investigation panel to investigate the alleged commercialization of war against insurgency in the Northeast.

The group at a press briefing held at the NUJ Press Centre, Maiduguri yesterday and led by it’s Chairman, Zannah Hassan Boguma the group called on the Federal Government to constitute an independent investigative panel to investigate the commercialization of the war against insurgency in the Northeast.

The group said ” regarding the commercialization of the war against the terrirists, the Forum holds similar view with the Borno state Governor, Prof. Babagana Zulum. Because, once the fundermentals behind the formation of this Forum is a report by the district head of Baga that some miscreant among the security forces are engaged in all sort of bussiness, including farming and fishing business in the fringes of Lake Chad’.

“We strongly condemn and urge the Nigerian government to bring those responsible for the horrific crime to justice,” Boguma stressed.

“The recent developments in the state including abduction of innocent people, attacked on Governor’s Motorrcade, terrorising innocent people and shedding blood, constitutes a form of Injustice can never be tolerated by all well meaning individuals in the state , which viewed them as gross crime and sinful acts which undermining the peaceful circumstance of the people of Borno state”, Boguma added.

The group urged the people of Borno state to unite against those terrorising them and those who.permits the killing of non.contants without justification stressing that Islam has declared the spilling of blood and the destruction of.property as obsolute prohibition until the Day of Judgement.

” We urge all well meaning individuals and groups to desists from the culture of silence to denounce the terrorists act and their sponsors by revealing thieir secrets and exposing their lies. We believed that the conservative nature of our people has seriously made enemies within and outside to take chance to create havoc on our society, the group stressed.

The group further said ” the Armed Forces should take cue their counterparts in Tchad Republic. If the President of Tchad, Idriss Debby Itno and his soldiers cleared and annihilated Boko Haram Terrorists in 8 days in their territory Why is it taking Over 10 years (not ten days ) for the Nigerian Armed Forces?, Therefore, we suggest that the Chief of Army Staff Lt General Tukur Buratai should lead the war and fish out the terrorists”.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 Daily Hint News. Designed by VIS Nigeria