Connect with us

Headlines

With Yar’ Adua on sick bed, Two UK paper coys outsmarted Nigeria

Published

on

With Yar’Adua on Sick Bed, Two UK Paper Coys Outsmarted Nigeria

“My hands are clean, says Jonathan”

The several months late President Umaru Yar’Adua spent on the sick bed prior to his demise on May 5, 2010, paved the way for Process & Industrial Developments Limited (P&ID), a tiny natural gas company to hoodwink the federal government into allegedly signing a gas supply and processing agreement (GSPA) which may cost the country a whopping $9 billion following last week’s British Commercial Court ruling, THISDAY findings have shown.

If the judgment is executed and the aforementioned amount is to be paid, the UK firm might walk away with 20 per cent of Nigeria’s external reserves, which stood at $44.425 billion as of last Thursday, and 2.5 per cent of Nigeria’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP).

This is just as former President Goodluck Jonathan has washed his hands of the matter, saying that the controversial contract was signed in January of 2010, while he became acting President on February 9, 2010. Jonathan, who said this through his former aide, Reno Omokri, insisted that the cabal held sway during that period Yar’Adua was ill.

Meanwhile, a hedge fund managed company, VR Capital Group, which had knowledge of the matter, had in March this year, taken as much as 25 per cent stake in P&ID. Since then, the company has been trying to pull levers of power in the U.S. and the U.K. to make Nigeria settle or, failing that, enable the company to start seizing assets, Bloomberg reported.

The saga began almost a decade ago. Despite the country’s ample natural resources, Nigeria’s state-owned electric and petroleum companies have struggled to power the country. To help fix the problem, in 2010, late President Yar’Adua had authorised partnership with private companies to develop the nation’s energy infrastructure.

The Ministry of Petroleum Resources then, headed by late Rilwanu Lukman, had struck the agreement in January 2010 with P&ID, which was founded in 2006 by two Irishmen, Michael Quinn and Cahill.

However, a source at the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) yesterday told THISDAY that, “the firm awarded $9 billion judgment debt against Nigeria never scratched the ground to commence the project.

By the terms of the agreement, P&ID was to build and operate an accelerated gas development project at Adiabo in Odukpani Local Government Area (LGA) of Cross River State. The agreement required the federal government to supply natural gas from Addax Petroleum-operated Oil Mining Leases (OMLs) 123 and 67 for P&ID to refine into fuel suitable for power generation in the country.

According to the agreement, the initial volume of gas was about 150 million cubic feet of gas per day, which would be ramped up to about 400 million cubic feet per day during the 20-year period.

The Backlash over Executive Pension
But P&ID alleged that after signing the agreement, the federal government reneged on its obligation after it had opened negotiation with the Cross River State government for allocation of land for the project.

Sources within the Cross River State government told THISDAY yesterday it was unaware of any negotiations for land allocation to P& ID by the previous administration in the state. P&ID claimed that the failure of the federal government to construct the pipeline system to supply the gas frustrated the construction of the gas project, and deprived it the potential benefits expected from 20 years’ worth of gas supplies.

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

Baga ambush; ISWAP/Boko Haram Killed 8 Policemen, 3 CJTF Members Killed, 13 Others Injured

Published

on

Baga ambush; ISWAP/Boko Haram killed 8 policemen, 3 CJTF members killed, 13 others injured.

By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri

Members of the Islamic State of West African Province ( ISWAP),/ Boko Haram terrorist have killed eight policemen, 3 soldiers 3,members of Civilian Joint Tasks Force (CJTF), while 13 others injured in an ambushed near Cross kauwa few kilometers away from the Famous Baga fish town.

The Borno state Police command while confirming the incident, in a statement issued by ithe commands Public Relations Officer (PPRO),, DSP Edet Okon said ‘On 25th September, 2020 at about 12PM, the security convoy who were heading to Baga in respect of Government’s effort to relocate indigenes of Baga to their ancestral home came under heavy gun attack by Armed Men suspected to be Boko Haram terrorists a few Kilometers from Cross Kauwa. The security convoy returned fire and successfully repelled the attack.”

The statement said ” in the ensuing gun fight however, casualties were recorded on both sides. Unfortunately, eight (8) Policemen and three (3) members of the Civilian Joint Task Force paid the supreme price. Thirteen (13) other persons sustained various degrees of injuries and were rushed to Hospital for treatment.”

The statement however, stated that the Commissioner of Police, Borno state Command CP Bello Makwashi assures members of the public that the Nigeria Police is determined to carry out its constitutional mandate of protecting lives and properties and will not relent in providing the needed security for the good citizens of Borno State at all times.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Again, Boko haram ambushes Borno Government officials convoy near Baga

Published

on

Again, Boko Haram ambushes Borno government officials convoy near Baga

By Madu Mohammed Maiduguri

Again members of the Boko Haram insurgents have ambushed the convoy of the Borno state government officials on their way to Baga along Monguno Baga road, in preparatory for today Saturday 26th September, 2020 resettlements

“Five policemen, 3 soldiers and 6 members of the Civilian Joint Task force (CJTF) were said to been killed, while
several others were injured in the ambushed”, a security source who does not want his name in print said.

The government officials were on their way to Baga for the official resettlement of the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPS), who were scheduled to return to Baga today Saturday , 26th September, 2020 by the governor himself.

The Boko Haram insurgents were said to have ambushed the government official convoy including some returnees IDPs few kilometers way from Multi National Joint Task Force ( MNJTF) check point near Baga..

The insurgents were said to have fired several shots at the convoy, injuring the security operatives some of the IDPs and other travellers on the convoy. It was not clear whether if the insurgents killed or injured any of the returning IDPs.

It could be recalled that the Borno state governor, Prof. Babagana Zulum had recently inaugurated a committee for the resetlement of IDPs from Maiduguri and Monguno back to Baga, a town business community about 158 kilometres away from Maiduguri, the state capitol

At the time of filing this report no official statement from the Borno state government or the military.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Governor zulum donates house, 20 million to orphans, widow of late Col. Bako

Published

on

Governor Zulum donates House, N20 million to the orphans, widow of Late Col Bako

By Madu Mohammed,, Maiduguri

The body of the Late Col Dahiru Chiroma Bako an Army commander who sustained injury in a Boko Haram ambush in Borno and later died at a military Hospital at the Maimalari Army hospital, Maiduguri has been laid to rest at the Maimalari Military cemetery, Maiduguri on Tuesday amidst tears .

The Borno state Governor, Professor Babagana Zulum and the Chief of Army Staff, (COAS), Lt General Tukur Buarai along other dignitaries attended the burial in Maiduguri.

While paying glowing tribute to the Late Army Commander during funeral rites, Governor Babagana Zulum announced a donation of a befitting house and 20 million Naira to the widow and orphans left behind by late Col. Dahiru Chiroma Bako who died from wounds sustained while battling boko haram. Insurgents ambushed the Commander’s troop on Sunday morning.

The governor said “I am reliably informed that Col. Bako did not have a house of his own. We cannot ignore the family he left behind. We share their grief and nothing can equal his life. Nevertheless, I am pleased to announce that Borno State Government will build a befitting house for the family of late Col. Bako. I was also told that the Nigerian Army under the distinguished leadership of Lt. General Tukur Yusuf Buratai has offered a scholarship to his children, we will also support the family to compliment the efforts of the military.”

Governor Zulum described Col. Bako, as a fallen warrior, was Commander of 25 Task Force Brigade of Operation Lafiya Dole in charge of Damboa and surrounding axis in southern Borno. He died at a military hospital in Maiduguri on Monday.

He said “Indeed it is a very sad moment, this is not a loss to the family of Late Col. Dahiru Chiroma Bako alone, not to the Nigerian Military, it is a loss to Borno and indeed Nigeria.. Col. Bako was a gallant and dodged military officer, under whose watch Damboa was never defeated. He humble and committed in discharging his duties, he is part of the success recorded in degrading boko haram insurgency in Borno State.”

“He has been one of the greatest in trying to stabilize not only Borno but even the neighbouring Yobe State. We will remember his contributions forever, may almighty Allah reward him, and forgive him.. To his family may they bear this irreparable lost. To all the soldiers and officers of the Nigerian Military that lost their lives, may Almighty Allah reward and forgive them. The injured ones we pray for their quck recovery.”

“For the welfare of his family, Borno State Government will relase the sum of 20 million as support for them. A cheque to the effect will be ready later today or tomorrow morning” Zulum said.

It could be recalled the Nigerian Army in statement issued by the spokesman ,of Operation Lafiya Dole, Col. Ado Isa who announced the sudden death of the gallant officer said. “Operation LAFIYA DOLE wishes to intimate the general public of the demise of one of our gallant and finest war heroes Col DC Bako.”.

The statement further said that “the professional, gallant senior officer who always led from the front and a patriotic Nigerian, led a patrol to clear Boko Haram Terrorists from Sabon Gari-Wajiroko axis near Damboa when his patrol team entered an ambush at about 10 a.m Sunday 20 September 2020. Under his able leadership, the troops cleared the ambush resulting to the killing of scores of terrorists and recovery of weapons and equipment,”

The Army said “Sadly however, he was wounded in action and immediately evacuated by the Air Task Force Operation LAFIYA DOLE to the 7 Division Hospital at Maimalari Cantonment. The late senior officer was recuperating well after successful operation at the hospital, in good spirit and also said his prayers in the early hours of this morning before his sad passing on at the hospital. May Almighty Allah grant his soul eternal rest. Ameen. “

While comesurating with the bereaved family, the troops of the Operation Lafiya Dole,, the Chief of Army Staff Lt Gen TY Buratai on behalf of himself, gallant troops of Operation LAFIYA DOLE and indeed well meaning Nigerians said the Army will sponsor the education of the family of the deceased.

“We are most grateful for his contributions and sacrifices to the mother land. May God grant eternal rest to the gentle soul of Col DC Bako and the souls of all Nigerian Army officers and soldiers who paid the supreme prize in the defence of our fatherland,” General Buratai said.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 Daily Hint News. Designed by VIS Nigeria