Connect with us

News

BOSG saves over N400 million from pension verification exercise

Published

on

BOSG saves over N400 million from pension verification exercise

By Madu Mohammed,. Maiduguri

The Borno state pension verification exercise has said that it has saved over N400 million in the ongoing verification of pensioners who retired from the service of the state government.

While briefing journalists at a Press briefing held at his office at the Musa Uman Secretariat. Maiduguri yesterday, the Borno State Head of Civil Service, Barr. Simon C. Malgwi, said the Borno.state Governor, Professor Babagana Zul has directed the enrolment of 552 ex-workers who retired from 2016 to April 2020 for enrolment.

Mr Malgwi stated that Governor Babagana Umara Zulum, having been considerably disturbed by the pension problems in the state, had to personally intervene in order to address the problem and ensure a hitch-free system of pension administration in the state.

The Head of Service started that the 552 pensioners enrolled are inclusive of the 387 complaints received from the Nigerian Union Of Pensioners received on Thursday, 12th March, 2020, during a public hearing that was presided by Governor Zulum in Maiduguri.

He further explained that about 90% of the pensioners have so far been cleared and paid their one month pension and the payment will continue after the process of their enrollment into pension scheme is fully completed. The remaining 10% were largely not captured either due to non-reporting for the exercise or for being deferred for further investigation and necessary or appropriate action. This, he said, is as far as the 387 pension complaints received from the Nigerian Union of Pensioners.

Mr Malgwi attributed the lingering pension crisis to a number of administrative factors and some unavoidable challenges on the part of the pensioners. This he said includes: failure to provide correct details, particularly in respect to bank account numbers and BVN, cases of fraud and unsavoury activities, deliberate overstay in service beyond the mandatory years of service or retirement age, collecting both salaries and pensions at the same time, impersonation, improper replacement and overpayments, cases of the next-of-kin not reporting death of pensioners to government until ATM expires and become stranded among others.

He assured the pensioners that the government’s commitment to offset all pension and salary arrears that are verified to be genuine,adding that there is no cause for alarm as no genuine pensioner who has worked for the state in any capacity and entitled to pension will be denied his or her legitimate retirement benefits.

He However called on civil servants to always process their retirement in good time to avoid unnecessary delays as government has put in place a system of automatic migration, from salary to pension whereby, all fresh retirees would have their pension in the month immediately after retirement.

The Head of Service also on behalf of the Borno State Government appreciated cooperation from the Nigerian Labour Congress, the Nigerian Union of Pensioners and the pensioners themselves who have ensured the smooth and successful conduct of the ..

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Gov. Buni Mourns Emir of Zazzau

Published

on

Gov. Buni Mourns Emir of Zazzau

Yobe state Governor and Chairman APC Caretaker/Extraordinary National convention committee, Hon. Mai Mala Buni has commiserated with the government and people of Kaduna state over the death of the Emir of Zaria, Alhaji Shehu Idris.

Governor Buni described the death as a loss of a  nationalist who dedicated his life to the service of Nigerians.

The late Emir was a bridge builder who threw the doors of his domain open, accommodating all Nigerians irrespective of cultural, ethnic and religious differences.

“Late Shehu Idris built a mini Nigeria in Zaria where everyone lived and freely pursued their legitimate means of livelihood.”

He will be remembered for providing conducive environment to host numerous educational institutions and, making Zaria a citadel of learning in Nigeria.

Governor Buni prayed Almighty Allah to forgive his shortcomings and to grant him Aljannatur Firdaus.

The Governor also prayed Allah to give his family, Zaria emirate, government and people of Kaduna state and, Nigerians the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss.

Signed
Mamman Mohammed
DG Press and Media Affairs to Gov. Buni.

Continue Reading

News

Biu Emirate loses Kuthi at the age of 80

Published

on

Biu Emirate loses Kuthi at the age of 80

By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri

The Kuthi (Emir) of Biu, His Royal Highness, Alhaji Umar Mustapha Aliyu has died at the age of 80 .

Confirming the death, the Borno state government through the commissioner of Information, Home Affairs and Culture, Hon. Babakura Abba Jatau said “Inna Lillahi wa innah ilayhi rajiun his royal highness the emir of Biu Mai Umar Mustapha Aliyu has answered the call of Allah Subuhanahu wa Taa La””

“Appointed June 1989 the late emir died this morning at the age of 80. He will be laid to rest in Biu by 2pm today Tuesday, 15 September, 2020 according to palace source may his soul rest in perfect peace.,” The statement added.

An emirate source told our correspondent that the Late Alhaji Umar Mustapha Aliyu died at the Federal Medical Centre Gombe at about 8;45 pm on Monday night after a protracted illness.

“As I am talking now (10;35am) we just received the corpse of the Late Kuthi and the funeral prayer is scheduled to take place by 2;00pm today”, the source added.

The Late Emir who succeeded his father Alhaji Mustapha Aliyu was appointed in June 1989 and has spent 31 years as the Kuthi of Biu.

Late Alhaji Umar Mustapha Aliyu was the 28th Emir of Biu and started his career as vetinery officer in Biu with Borno state government and was appointed the District head of Biu in 1975 and later appointed Emir of Biu in June 1989.

Continue Reading

News

FG adopts air drop strategy to ensure foods gets to IDPs inaccessible communities in Northeast

Published

on

FG adopts air drop strategy to ensure foods get to IDPs inaccessible communities in Northeast

By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri

Worried by the plight of the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) taking refuge in inaccessible areas, the Federal Government through the National Humanitarian Coordination Committee has adopted an air drop strategy to ensure that foods get to the IDPs in the hard to reached communities in the Northeast

While speaking to newsmen shortly after the ascimilation exercise demonstrated by troops of the Nigerian Air Force the Air drop strategy at the Maiduguri International Airport during the weekend, the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Hajiya Sadiya Umar Faruk said “we are adopting this strategy to ensure that our IDPs in hard to reached areas are benefited. The Air drops strategy which in collaboration with the troops of the Nigerian Air force is not a new strategy, it has been used in 2018 in Kala- Balge local government” and we adopting to ensure effective and efficient delivery”.

“the issues around inaccessible areas, areas where humanitarian aid workers cannot access. We are collaborating with the Nigerian Airforce to support us with air drop of food items to communities and areas that are not accessible. We have identified four areas which includes Rann, Mary’s, Damboa omang other communities, we are here to see the ascilmilation exercise of the air drop with a view to see how it will work and If there is any challenges, we will go back to the drawing board and correct it “, the minister added.

The Minister further said “the Air drop distribution is targeted at 26,067 households, totaling 156,402 individuals.. We are going sit-down with the Borno state government this night with a view to see how best all the hard to reach areas can be reached.”.

Hajiya faruk said “the government has.put in place measures to.ensure that the food items doesn’t get into the hards of insurgents through air surveillance and identification of real beneficiaries. The foods to distributed I Clyde’s 26*067 22.5kg of rice, 26,067 2.5 kg of beans, 26,067 12.5kg of maize and Millet, 4,394 packets of 20 grammes iiofizef salt, 2,604 of 29 litres vegetables oil, 4,345 cartons if superghetti and 2,173 cartons of seasoning cubes “

Earlier, the Air Taskforce Commander, Air commodore Precious Amadi said “the purpose is in case for any reason the foods cannot transported by road,, we will use air drop strategy to take food to the people by ayur. The Nigerian Aurforrce has the capacity to drop foods to people in inaccessible areas. We will do it whenever we are call to do so”

While on a courtesy call to the Borno state Governor, Prof. Babagana Zulum, the Minister said ” we are here on behalf of the Vice President Yemi Osinbajo and the National Humanitarian Coordination.committee to see how we can ensure no one is starve by ensuring food get to those in.hsrd to reach areas.”

Hajiya Faruk said “at a meeting held with the Vice President on 4th September 2020, it was discussed that accessibility issues faced by INGOs operating in
the NorthEast due to insecurity, floods or terrain, could be mitigated with the support of the security services and as outlined in the joint CiSEC Communique signed at the end of the 3 day Civil Security Cooperation Workshop held in Maiduguri from 6th–8th November 2019.The Communique highlights the need for Civil Security Cooperation to ensure the conduct of seamless humanitarian
activities.”

” Your Excellency, the CiSEC structures provide the relevant platform for the essential dialogue and interaction required between humanitarian\civilian and security actors that it is necessary to pursue common goals which protect and support persons of concern affected by emergencies created by wars, armed conflicts,and terrorism;
natural and secondary catastrophes; and technological and environmental disasters.”. She further stressed.

She stressed that “however,to ensure that we are able to provide adequate support, I wish to request that the State Government provide the
necessary information required to enable collaboration with the
Nigerian Airforce to drop food and non-food items in locations that
have been made inaccessible due to insecurity or the recent floods.”

She said ,the Managing Directoror NorthEast Development Commission NED and the Director General of the National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA will work with the Borno state team to ascertain and provide the NHCC with the required information to
ensure that the interventions provided are prioritise,and the needs and are
sufficient for the identified vulnerable communities”

Responding the Borno state Governor Professor Babagana Zulum represented by his Deputy, Alhaji Umar Kadafur said “we are working hard to see that we resettle all IFPs in the state volunteraliy , because they eager to go back to their communities. We have even commenced resettlement of our IDPs with the returned of the IDPs from.Auno, Ajiri, Kawuri and very soon we are going to resstlle the people of Baga, Ashigashiya and Ngoshe”.

Whe thanking the Federal Government for the support that have rendering to the IDPs in the Northeast, Governor Zulum assured that the Borno state government will work closely and support the Federal government to ensure all the food items get to the beneficiaries and no IDPs is starved.

The minister accompanied by the Borno state Deputy Governor, Alh Umar Kadafur, the Managing Director, NEDC Alhaji Goni Alkali, the DG NEMA Alh. Mohammed T Mohammed and others dignitaries inspects the food items at the NEMA store in Maiduguri.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 Daily Hint News. Designed by VIS Nigeria