Connect with us

National

Borno Governor, UN. Condemned Gruesome Killing of 5 Humanitarian Aid Workers

Published

on

Borno Governor, UN condemned gruesome killing of 5 humanitarian aid workers

– the gruesome killing will not deter us from providing aid to the IDPs-UN

By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri

The United Nations Office of the Coordination of Humanitarian Affaurs (OCHA) has condemned the gruesome killing of five of its aid workers, stressing that the gruesome killing of the humanitarian aid worker by the insurgents will not deterred them from.providing aids to millions of displaced persons in the Northeast.

The UN-OCHA, Coordinator in Nigeria, Mr Edward Kallon while condemning the gruesome killing of the aid workers in a statement issued on Wednesday said ” at a time when humanitarian needs have reached unprecedented levels, it is unacceptable that those who are trying to help are being attacked and killed. This incident will not deter the international community from providing aid to millions of Nigerians who desperately need assistance in the north-east”.

” The humanitarian community stands in solidarity with the people of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states who have suffered long years of conflict and now need protection against a deadly virus.”, he added.

Mr Kallon said “I am utterly shocked and horrified by the gruesome killing of some of our colleagues and partners by non-state armed groups in Borno State. My most heartfelt condolences go to their loved ones, families, friends and co-workers.”

“They were committed humanitarians who devoted their lives to helping vulnerable people and communities in an area heavily affected by violence. Our colleagues and partners were abducted while travelling on a main route connecting the northern town of Monguno with Maiduguri, the Borno State capital. Their safety and securing their safe release have been our highest priority since they were captured last month”, he further stressed.

He said “I strongly condemn all violence targeting aid workers and the civilians they are assisting. I am also troubled by the number of illegal vehicular checkpoints set up by non-state armed groups along main supply routes. These checkpoints disrupt the delivery of life-saving assistance and heighten the risks for civilians of being abducted, killed or injured, with aid workers increasingly being singled out.”

“This is tragically not the first killing of kidnapped aid workers. We have repeatedly called for such devastating fate and blatant violation of international humanitarian law to never happen again. And yet, it does. I implore all armed parties to step up to their responsibilities and stop targeting aid workers and civilians”, he added.

He further stressed that ” Aid workers and the assistance they provide to the most vulnerable populations make the difference between life and death for entire communities. Nearly eight million people were in need of urgent life-saving assistance in north-east Nigeria at the beginning of the year. Today, 10.6 million people need urgent support as conflict-affected states battle the COVID-19 pandemic.”

Also condermnng the kilings of the aid workers, the Borno Governor, Babagana Umara Zulum, said he is deeply pained by insurgents’ execution of aid workers whom he described as heroes that were gruesomely killed in the course of serving humanity.

Goveror Zulum in a statement issued on Thursday by his spokesman, Malam Isa Gusau, said the Governor was informed of the execution on Wednesday evening, while he was at headquarters of Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps in Abuja to discuss introduction of civil-defence volunteer programme and the deployment of more agro rangers to secure farmers in Borno State. Zulum departed Maiduguri same Wednesday and on arriving Abuja, he drove to the NSCDC.

“The insurgents had released a video which showed five blindfolded aid workers with four of them shot at close range, while one was spared even though he was also positioned for execution. The five aid workers were abducted weeks back during a humanitarian mission to support internally displaced persons (IDPs)”, the statement said.

“Governor Babagana Umara Zulum is deeply pained and extremely worried by the gruesome execution of the aid workers who lost their lives while trying to save IDPs through humanitarian activities. The Governor mourns these heroes and shares the grief of their families and employers: Borno State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), Action Against Hunger, Reach International, International Rescue Committee, and condoles with the United Nations Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, (UNOCHA)”, the statement said.

Gusau further said that Governor Zulum has, in his absence, directed a Government delegation to immediately visit families of the aid workers to participate in funeral activities and to pay condolence visits to affected humanitarian partners through UNOCHA.

“Governor Zulum wants a new thinking that would hopefully stop these endless killings. We cannot continue to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result. The Governor believes in a combination of kinetic and non-kinetic approaches and he is of the position that the Nigerian military has, through its operation ‘safe corridor’, demonstrated its willingness to rehabilitate and reintegrate insurgents willing to stop the killings of fellow humans. The Governor reiterates his call on the insurgents to stop the killings that have been on for 11 years. Zulum also urged all stakeholders to renew commitment to ending the insurgency by being open to new ideas and applying different measures that will hasten good results”, the statement said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Buratai Inspects Project At Army Camp Ngamdu

Published

on

Buratai inspects project at Army Camp Ngamdu.

By Baba Saleh Damaturu

The Chief of Army Staff
Lt Gen Tukur Yusuf Buratai has Saturday inspected ongoing projects and facilities at Ngamdu army super camp.

Buratai said the visit was part of his continuation operational tour to the north east theater of Operation.

The Army chief was at Ngamdu today the 26 of September 2020, where he inspected ongoing construction and renovation projects as well as facilities in the camp.

He equally used the opportunity to assess the overall operational readiness of the camp.

“The Chief of Army staff was accompanied by the Chief of Training and Operations Army Maj Gen Nuhu Angbazo, the Theatre Commander Operation LAFIYA DOLE Maj Gen Faruk Yahaiya, Chief of Military Intelligence Maj Gen SA Adebayo, Acting Provost Marshall Army Brig Gen Hussain Ahmed and Commander Sector 2 Operation LAFIYA DOLE Brig Gen OO Oluyede among other senior army officers”

Continue Reading

National

Again ISWAP/Boko Haram Kidnapped Site Engineer, A Carpenter along Maiduguri, Damasak Road

Published

on

Again ISWAP,/Boko Haram kidnapped site Engineer, A Carpenter along Maiduguri, Damasak Road

By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri

Again, members of the Islamic State for West African Province (ISWAP), Boko Haram fighters have again abducted two workers along Maiduguri-Damasak road, on their way to Damasak to construct shelter for the Nigerian refugees returning from Diffa province in Niger Republic back to their ancestral homes.

The two abductees in a separate video clips released by the insurgents, appealed to the Borno state Governor, Professor, Babagana Zulum and the state Commissioner for Reconstruction, Rehabilitation and Resettlement (RRR), Engineer, Mustapha Gubio to come to their rescue.

“My name is lawan modu karsami
I worked with Nganzai LGA, I am a project Engineer attached to construction site of Shelter in Damasak, the project for Nigerian refugees returning back to Damasak. We were captured by the Khailafa army and we are now in hostage with them”, Modu Karsami said.

He appealed to the commissioner for RRR, Engr Mustapha Gubio and Governor Babagana Umara Zulum to cometheir rescue

Also speaking Ibrahim Musa while appealing to the government to come to his rescue said ” I am Ibrahim Musa a carpenter, we were captured by the Army of Khaliffa along Maiduguri-Damasak road on our way to Damasak to construct a shelter to the returning IDPs. “

” I appeal to the Borno state Governor, Professor Babagana Zulum and the commissioner of RRR to come to our rescue”, he added.

Continue Reading

National

Nigeria Army Mourns its Commander death as a result of Boko haram ambush

Published

on

Nigerian Army mourns its commander death as a result of Boko Haram ambush

By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri

The Nigerian Army and the Operation Lafiya Dole have lost a gallant commander in a Boko Haram ambushed after he led a successful clearance operation again at Boko Haram insurgents along Sabon Gari Wajirako axis in Damboa local government area of Borno state.

The Operation Lafiya Dole in a statement issued by ihe Deputy Director Army Public Relations ( DDAPR), spokesman, Col. Ado Isa said. “Operation LAFIYA DOLE wishes to intimate the general public of the demise of one of our gallant and finest war heroes Col DC Bako.”.

” It could be recalled that the professional, gallant senior officer who always led from the front and a patriotic Nigerian, led a patrol to clear Boko Haram Terrorists from Sabon Gari-Wajiroko axis near Damboa when his patrol team entered an ambush at about 10 a.m Sunday 20 September 2020. Under his able leadership, the troops cleared the ambush resulting to the killing of scores of terrorists and recovery of weapons and equipment,” the statement added.

The Army said “Sadly however, he was wounded in action and immediately evacuated by the Air Task Force Operation LAFIYA DOLE to the 7 Division Hospital at Maimalari Cantonment. The late senior officer was recuperating well after successful operation at the hospital, in good spirit and also said his prayers in the early hours of this morning before his sad passing on at the hospital. May Almighty Allah grant his soul eternal rest. Ameen. “

While comesurating with the bereaved family, the troops of the Operation Lafiya dole,, the Chief of Army Staff Lt Gen TY Buratai on behalf of himself, gallant troops of Operation LAFIYA DOLE and indeed well meaning Nigerians expressed heartfelt condolences to his esteemed family..

“We are most grateful for his contributions and sacrifices to the mother land. May God grant eternal rest to the gentle soul of Col DC Bako and the souls of all Nigerian Army officers and soldiers who paid the supreme prize in the defence of our father land,” General Buratai quoted to have said.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 Daily Hint News. Designed by VIS Nigeria