Connect with us

National

9 Corps Members Drown In Taraba while Swimming

Published

on


9 Corps Members Drown in Taraba while Swimming

By Agency Report

The Taraba Police Command’s spokesman, ASP David Missal, who confirmed the incident which occurred on Saturday said seven corpses had so far been recovered.
Sudden increase in the volume of water in River Mayo Celbe, Taraba was responsible for the drowning of nine corps members who were swimming during a picnic party, the police said.

The Taraba Police Command’s spokesman, ASP David Missal, who confirmed the incident which occurred on Saturday said seven corpses had so far been recovered.

“Information available to our disposal reveals that 22 Youth Corps members serving in the state were on a picnic party in River Mayo-Selbe in Gashaka LGA on Saturday when the incident happened.

“We were made to understand that while they were swimming, there was a sudden increase in the volume of water which carried nine of them away.

“We have so far recovered Seven corpses while the search for the two remaining corpses is still in progress,” he said.

State NYSC Coordinator, Mrs Florence Yaakugh also confirmed the incident.

Yaakugh said that the seven bodies have been recovered while the search for the other two bodies was still ongoing by the locals in collaboration with security agencies and the NYSC.

While describing the incident as most regrettable and unfortunate, Yaakugh said that the NYSC would soon have the identity of all the Corps members involved and make such known appropriately.

“We have information indicating that about nine of our Corps members were drowned in Gashaka on Saturday.

“So far, seven bodies have been recovered and we are working with other relevant persons to recover the rest and to identify the persons.

“This is a very sad development and the entire NYSC family in Taraba state is already thrown into deep mourning”, she said.

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Governor zulum partake in the burial of 44 out of 70 slaughtered farmers in Borno

Published

on

Governor Zulum partake in the burial of the 44 out of 70 slaughtered famers in Borno

By Madu Mohammed,, Maiduguri

The Borno state Governor prof. Babagana Zulum was among the relatives, friends, and sympathizers that witnessed the funeral prayers and the burial of 44 out of about 70 famers that were slaughtered by Boko Haram insurgents in their farms in Zabarmari ward of Jere local government areas of Borno state .

Zabarmari village a famous rice cultivation and local processing community, is 20 kilometers away from Maiduguri and Koshebe village, where the incident occurred is 4 kilometers away from Zabarmari. 13 of the slaughtered famers were from Zabarmari, 5 came from Baga while the remaining were from Sokoto, Kebbi and Zamfara states. famous for rice cultivation and local processing, .

The governor who emotionally torched by the incident bursted into tears while personally participating in the burial.

Speaking in an interview with newsmen shortly after burial in Zabarmari, Governor Babagana Zulum said “It is disheartening that more than 40 citizens were slaughtered while they were working in their farmlands. Our people are in very difficult situations, they are in two different extreme conditions, in one side they stay at home they may be killed by hunger and starvation, on the other, they go out to their farmlands and risk getting killed by the insurgents.”

“This is very sad. We are still appealing to the Federal Government to ensure recruitment of more our youths in the CJTF and hunters into the Nigerian military and the Civil Defence so that they can form part of the agro rangers that will protect farmers. We need many boots to protect farmlands and our youths understand the terrain. We will not lose hope because we have to remain optimistic about ending the insurgency”

The governor said ” We sympathized with people of Zabarmari over the unfortunate incident,. We just witnessed the funeral prayers of 44 people and I was told that about 70 farmers were killed. We are going to have a security chiefs with a view to re-strategize. We are going to recruit more Civil JTF, strengthen and equipped them to protect their communities,”.

While appreciating the military for their efforts, the governor said ” we urge President Buhari to solicit for more support from our neigbouring countries of Niger Republic, Chad and Cameron, as well as international community, so that we will join forces to clear Boko Haram from fringes of Lake Chad, Sambisa and Mandara mountains.”.

Addressing the breaved residents of Zabarmari during his visit Zulum said “first of all, accept my deepest sympathy over this carnage, once again, that affects all of us and every human with conscience. I am told some persons are still missing. We have been discussing with the military since yesterday, Insha Allah the remaining people will be traced soon.”

Speaking to newsmen in Zabarmari, the chairman Rice Seller Association in the area, Alh. Hassan Zabarmari said ” yesterday Saturday when our people were working in the farms, as early as 5:30 am some insurgents came and asked them to gather in one place that they want to talk to them. After some time they said that the leader of the sect (Ameer ) want to talk to them, they took them to one house in Koshefe some few kilometers away from here and started slaughtering them one after the others not knowing to others that they were been slaughtered, as they asked to see the Ameer one after the other.

“”They killed all our young Farmers and left two of our elderly farmers to come and relay the message at home”, Alhaji Hassan who bursted in tears stated.

A vigilantes from the area who does not want his name in print told our correspondent in Zabarmari that the killing was a revenged of killing their members that were arrested by the joint CJTF, vigilante and the military, adding that they had an intelligence report that the Boko Haram were planning revenge and that they told the military but nothing was done.

Continue Reading

National

CDD engages 100 stakeholders on civil- security relationship in Yobe state

Published

on

CDD engages 100 stakeholders on civil-security relationship in Yobe State.

By Baba Saleh, Damaturu

The Center for Democracy and Development (CDD) has on Thursday engaged 100 participants in a one day interactive town hall meeting on civil_security relations in Damaturu.

The participants where drawn from religious bodies, civil society organizations, women and youth groups and security operatives in across the state.

Speaking to journalist during the meeting, Dr Kelechi Ndukwe a peace and conflict lecturer at the University who facilitate the discussions said the meeting was aimed at bridging the gap in respect of relationship that has been in existence between the civilian and security operatives.

He said apart from the destruction of lives and property, the insurgency has created another vacuum which is misunderstanding between the civilian and the security operatives involved in maintaining peace and order.

He noted that the organization discovered that such relationship has not been cordial coupled with some mistrust from ordinary citizens with regards to counter insurgency operations in the north east region.

He stressed that without cordial relationship there is no way to achieve success with regards to peace building.

” In a nutshell we intend to achieve human rights of individuals as contained in the United nation’s provisions of Geneva convention “

In his remarks one of the participants Dr Zaji Bunu commended the organizers for their timely initiative adding that the participants should use the avenue to share their thoughts and experiences to chart the way forward toward achieving sustainable peace in the society.

He expressed concerned that the security operatives particularly the military need to deeply understand the sociology or people they are relating with to avoid tampering on their norms and values while undertaking their exercise.

Continue Reading

National

An NGO Care International takes campaign against Gender Based Violence to Yobe

Published

on

An NGO CARE International takes campaign against Gender Based Violence to Yobe

By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri

An International Non Governmental Organisation (INGO), CARE INTERNATIONAL in Nigeria on Wednesday said, Gender Based Violence (GBV) remains a critical rights violation committed against people based on their gender identity, gender expression or sexual orientation.

While speaking during the Launch of a16 days of activism in Damaturu, the Yobe state capital, the Manager, Department of state, CARE Nigeria, Nubwa Chama said, GBV is often used as a tool to dominate and intimidate, to reinforce gendered inequalities among and across groups through family and peer pressures; policies and programs that criminalize certain sexualities, or powerful social norms that perpetuate child marriage.

“I am pleased to share with you the heartbeat of CARE in Nigeria, on this great occasion of the launch of 16 days of activism and leading the campaign on Gender Based Violence (GBV) here in Yobe state.. CARE in Nigeria has long stood for its code of conduct, describing our value of Transformation, Integrity, Diversity, Excellence and Equality, and the undertakings that unite CARE staff around the world and keep our programs firmly directed towards fighting poverty especially amongst women and girls”, Mrs Chama said

She further explained that “at CARE, we work to address multiple forms of GBV through Intimate partner relationships and violence, Child and early forced marriage and other harmful traditional practices, Social norms related to toxic masculinities, homophobia and transphobia, and Gendered economic exploitation and exclusion.”

Mrs Chama stated, that in CARE’s experiences, GBV has been used to control and stop people from entering the work force or making choices about their lives-including decisions related to sexual and reproductive health, their food and nutrition.

“Gender Based Violence is a driver and a consequence of social and political exclusion, conflict, gender inequality and poverty..Affirming the right of women and girls to live a life free from violence is a vital and necessary step toward advancing CARE’s vision of a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and all people live in dignity and security, she added.

“In CARE’s experience, GBV can undermine the effectiveness of health, education, agriculture and other programs; for instance, when the threat of violence keeps certain people from participating or accessing services based on their gender status or sexuality. ” She added.

While Sighting some cases, she said “development interventions can also trigger violence. When women income, public participation or mobility are perceived as threatening and cause backlash in households. Given how interventions across sectors interact with people of different genders, monitoring, mitigating and responding to GBV is important for ethical and effective programming in all development and humanitarian work.”

“We must constantly be alert to close the gaps between policies and practice and work to close them.” She further stressed.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 Daily Hint News. Designed by VIS Nigeria