Connect with us

National

Borno Governor, UN. Condemned Gruesome Killing of 5 Humanitarian Aid Workers

Published

on

Borno Governor, UN condemned gruesome killing of 5 humanitarian aid workers

– the gruesome killing will not deter us from providing aid to the IDPs-UN

By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri

The United Nations Office of the Coordination of Humanitarian Affaurs (OCHA) has condemned the gruesome killing of five of its aid workers, stressing that the gruesome killing of the humanitarian aid worker by the insurgents will not deterred them from.providing aids to millions of displaced persons in the Northeast.

The UN-OCHA, Coordinator in Nigeria, Mr Edward Kallon while condemning the gruesome killing of the aid workers in a statement issued on Wednesday said ” at a time when humanitarian needs have reached unprecedented levels, it is unacceptable that those who are trying to help are being attacked and killed. This incident will not deter the international community from providing aid to millions of Nigerians who desperately need assistance in the north-east”.

” The humanitarian community stands in solidarity with the people of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states who have suffered long years of conflict and now need protection against a deadly virus.”, he added.

Mr Kallon said “I am utterly shocked and horrified by the gruesome killing of some of our colleagues and partners by non-state armed groups in Borno State. My most heartfelt condolences go to their loved ones, families, friends and co-workers.”

“They were committed humanitarians who devoted their lives to helping vulnerable people and communities in an area heavily affected by violence. Our colleagues and partners were abducted while travelling on a main route connecting the northern town of Monguno with Maiduguri, the Borno State capital. Their safety and securing their safe release have been our highest priority since they were captured last month”, he further stressed.

He said “I strongly condemn all violence targeting aid workers and the civilians they are assisting. I am also troubled by the number of illegal vehicular checkpoints set up by non-state armed groups along main supply routes. These checkpoints disrupt the delivery of life-saving assistance and heighten the risks for civilians of being abducted, killed or injured, with aid workers increasingly being singled out.”

“This is tragically not the first killing of kidnapped aid workers. We have repeatedly called for such devastating fate and blatant violation of international humanitarian law to never happen again. And yet, it does. I implore all armed parties to step up to their responsibilities and stop targeting aid workers and civilians”, he added.

He further stressed that ” Aid workers and the assistance they provide to the most vulnerable populations make the difference between life and death for entire communities. Nearly eight million people were in need of urgent life-saving assistance in north-east Nigeria at the beginning of the year. Today, 10.6 million people need urgent support as conflict-affected states battle the COVID-19 pandemic.”

Also condermnng the kilings of the aid workers, the Borno Governor, Babagana Umara Zulum, said he is deeply pained by insurgents’ execution of aid workers whom he described as heroes that were gruesomely killed in the course of serving humanity.

Goveror Zulum in a statement issued on Thursday by his spokesman, Malam Isa Gusau, said the Governor was informed of the execution on Wednesday evening, while he was at headquarters of Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps in Abuja to discuss introduction of civil-defence volunteer programme and the deployment of more agro rangers to secure farmers in Borno State. Zulum departed Maiduguri same Wednesday and on arriving Abuja, he drove to the NSCDC.

“The insurgents had released a video which showed five blindfolded aid workers with four of them shot at close range, while one was spared even though he was also positioned for execution. The five aid workers were abducted weeks back during a humanitarian mission to support internally displaced persons (IDPs)”, the statement said.

“Governor Babagana Umara Zulum is deeply pained and extremely worried by the gruesome execution of the aid workers who lost their lives while trying to save IDPs through humanitarian activities. The Governor mourns these heroes and shares the grief of their families and employers: Borno State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), Action Against Hunger, Reach International, International Rescue Committee, and condoles with the United Nations Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, (UNOCHA)”, the statement said.

Gusau further said that Governor Zulum has, in his absence, directed a Government delegation to immediately visit families of the aid workers to participate in funeral activities and to pay condolence visits to affected humanitarian partners through UNOCHA.

“Governor Zulum wants a new thinking that would hopefully stop these endless killings. We cannot continue to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result. The Governor believes in a combination of kinetic and non-kinetic approaches and he is of the position that the Nigerian military has, through its operation ‘safe corridor’, demonstrated its willingness to rehabilitate and reintegrate insurgents willing to stop the killings of fellow humans. The Governor reiterates his call on the insurgents to stop the killings that have been on for 11 years. Zulum also urged all stakeholders to renew commitment to ending the insurgency by being open to new ideas and applying different measures that will hasten good results”, the statement said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

#EndSARS: Buhari Gives Matching Orders to Cabinet Ministers to Call For Peace

Published

on

#EndSARS: Buhari gives matching orders to cabinet ministers to call for peace.

By Baba Saleh, Damaturu

President Muhammadu Buhari has asked all cabinet ministers to call for peaceful coexistence in homes state.

The state minister of works and housing, Engr Abubakar D. Aliyu disclosed this at on day stakeholders dialogue on security held Sunday in Damaturu.

He said the objective of the meeting was to bring hope, encourage and sensitize the youth and other citizens to continue to surge for peace, unity and harmonious coexistence.

“Our youth should know the importance of peace and should continue to conduct themselves with decorum and should not allow themselves to be used by some individuals or groups to advance their atrocities”

In his opening remarks at the occasion Yobe State governor Mai Mala Buni has said Yobe state, had suffered so much from the protracted insurgency that bedevilled the state and the North east in general.

“We cannot contemplate having additional crises and hardships from the violent protests as we are now battling to resettle, rehabilitate and reclaim means of livelihood for our people” He added

The Governor appreciate youth in the state for their sense of reasoning and resilience to the challenges of the EndSARS protests.

” i salute you for your ingenuity in organizing prayer sessions where you prayed for an end to the protests and for peace to reign in Nigeria”

He maintained that his administration will continue to build tolerance, dialogue and strategic engagements to resolve all differences to promote peace and unity in the state, believing that progress and development can only be achieved in a secured and peaceful environment.

#

Continue Reading

National

International NGO Partners Government, Traditional, Religious, Community Leaders to promote Girl Child Education, End Early Marriage

Published

on

International NGO partners governments, traditional, religious, community leaders to promote girl child education, End early marriage

By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri

A nongovernmental Organisations (NGO) Plan International has solicited for the partnership of governments at all levels, traditional, religious to put more efforts in ensuring enrolment of girl child into school and out-of-school girls get back to school with a view to end early marriages in Borno state.

Speaking during an event to mark this years “International Day of the Girl Child, with a theme: “My Voice, Our Equal Future”, which held at Gubio IDP camp in Maiduguri recently emphasised that there must be a collective and broader effort to discourage early marriage and promote enrollment of girl child into school.

She said education should be made accessible, qualitative, safe and girl-friendly, to discourage early marriage and called on ommunity leaders to promote global education goals, stressing hat the reality is that when girls are married young, their education and other opportunities to live a safe, healthy and empowered life, come to an end.

Mrs Chinelo said education alone is not enough to end child marriage.abd solicited for cooperation government ministries and civil society organisations to key in, in the campaign to end the practice.

“In the community where we worked we understand that a lot of young girls are already married and with children, we give education to adequately take care of themselves and the young ones. .We know that in all over the world they have a different definition for a girl or child, here where we worked the UN define a child as somebody below the age of 18, we understand that this definition doesn’t stand because you see that at the age of ten or eleven someones is already married,” she added.

“So this society see those married girls as an adult, so we do a lot of education and awareness to sensitized them that even though those girls are productive, but they are still a child and cannot take care of another child that is the essence of canvassing against early marriage and the rest of them,” Mrs Chinelo .

She said “Girls enrollment into school is very very low here, but with the intervention of Plan International and others development agency that is working in Borno State, now a lot of families are realizing the need of girls education and they are supporting it”.

“We are breaking that barrier we are not there yet but we are making effort to ensure that by the year 2023 or thereabout we are going to have a considerable number of girls who are in school and who are clamouring to continue their education from primary to the tertiary institution and later to become somebody in their communities,” Chinelo explained.

In her remarks, the State Commissioner for Women Affairs and Social Development, Hajiya Zuwaira Gambo who was represented by Hajiya Aishatu Shani told the gathering that the current administration is working hard to ensure that more school-age girls are enrolled in schools.

She stressed that education initiatives that help girls to avoid child marriage must include awareness-raising campaigns for parents and community leaders on the benefits of girls’ education, scholarship programmes for girls, equipping schools and providing training for teachers on how to ensure a safe environment for all students.

“Changing cultural practices and attitudes that allow child marriage to continue takes years, and requires a deep and lasting commitment to work with families and communities to make change happen.” Hajiya Gambo said

“By reaching out to communities and empowering the girls who are vulnerable to child marriage, we can begin to change the narratives that girls are somehow of lesser value. It will take time but we must address the root causes of child, early and forced marriage, including poverty and gender inequality,” further stressed.

Continue Reading

National

Nigerian Army Flags Off Operation Crocodile Smile VI to Commence 20th October to December 31st Nationwide

Published

on

Nigerian Army flags off Operation Crocodile Smile VI to commence 20th October to December 31st Nationwide

By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri

The Nigerian Army has on Saturday flagged off ” Operation Crocodile Smile VI in it’s flush out Boko Haram insurgents,, kidnapping, Banditry, cyber crime and other crime and criminality.

The Chief of Army Staff, ( COAS), Lt General Tukur Buratai while addressing a Press Conference at the Army Social Super Camp 1 Ngamdu said the Operation which is to commence on 20th, October 2020 will last till December 31st, 2020 across all Nigerian Army formations in the country.

The COAS who represented at the briefing by the Chief Training and Operations (CTOP), Major General Nuhu Ambazo said ” the Nigerian Army is set to start its annual Exercise CROCODILE SMILE which is traditionally conducted in the last quarter of the year. This year’s Exercise CROCODILE SMILE V1 is scheduled to commence from the 20th of October to the 31st of December 2020.”

“The Exercise is deliberately intended to be all encompassing to include cyber warfare exercises designed to identify, track and counter negative propaganda in the social media and across the cyberspace. This is the first ever Cyberwarfare exercise to be conducted in the history of the African Armed Forces. Accordingly, the exercise will also include positive identification component aimed at identifying Boko Haram terrorists fleeing from the North East and other parts of the country as a result of the ongoing operations in the various theatres of operations especially in the Northeast, North Central and North Western parts of Nigeria, the COAS stated.

General Buratai said “this years exercise will as well have civil military component which consist of environmental sanitation, roads rehabilitation and repairs, humanitarian aids, medical outreach, assistance to physically challenged and assistance to widows of our fallen heroes”.

He said Operation Harbin Kunama 4 Operation Crocodile smile 5 have been successful completed, while Operation, Fire Ball, Operation Hadarin Daji, Operation Auem A Kpayem, Operation safe Heaven among others are still on going.

He therefore commended other sister security agencies for their support and synergy and the press for finding time to grace the briefing.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 Daily Hint News. Designed by VIS Nigeria