Connect with us

Headlines

Controversy erupts over UNIMAID lecturer’s “world physics championship” award

Published

on

 

Controversy erupts over UNIMAID lecturer’s ‘world physics championship’ award

 

On Friday, the social media was awash with the news of Nura Yakubu, a lecturer with University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID), Borno state, winning a “world physics championship” award.

His research article was said to have beaten 5721 nominations from 97 countries and he was declared the “pride and most important asset for Nigeria”.

Yakubu, 51-year-old mid-level cadre lecturer at UNIMAID’s department of physics, was said to have been crowned the “Father of modern EINSTEIN’S PLANETARY EQUATION studies in Physics”.

According to his profile, Yakubu was born in 1968 in Gashua, Bade local government area of Yobe state. Until 2018 when he obtained his doctorate degree, he was a lecturer 1 at the department.

The award was reportedly organised by one International Agency for Standards and Ratings (IASR), which had earlier conferred Yakubu as a fellow of the organisation’s directorate of physics.

The IASR claims to be the world’s prominent developer of standards and ratings for products, services and good practices, which includes food, water, vehicles, cosmetics, drugs, stone, plastic, paper, beverages, tobacco and others.

Aside issuing honorary doctorate degrees, IASR certification “provides customer satisfaction. No matter how big you are, public or private, and in what industries or sectors you do business, we are here to help you work smarter and reach your goals”.

Although it touts the world championship as the biggest physics tournament on earth, the AISR did not state which article won Yakubu the award. The organisation did not also include its physical address on the site.

However, there have been a lot of questions about the credibility of the award.

In an interview, Danjuma Gambo, spokesman of UNIMAID, told TheCable that neither Yakubu nor the “organisation that gave him the award” have contacted the university about it.

“He is a member of staff. We have seen what is being reported on social platforms. We are yet to hear from Dr. Nura himself. We are yet to hear from the organisation that was reported to have given him the said award,” Gambo said.

“The university has a framework for authenticating such information. We don’t want to comment on whether it is fake or genuine.”

Meanwhile, in 2018, the organisation had conferred upon one Abosede Otemuyiwa, a language lecturer with Joseph Ayo Babalola University (JABU), winner of the world championship in semiotics for “great scientific contribution”, saying she stood out of 5228 nominations from 69 countries.

In a Facebook post, Farooq Kperogi, Nigerian-born associate professor of journalism at Kennesaw State University, US, described the award as a “scam operation”.

“The truth is that Dr. Nura is the willing victim of a scam, a kind of scam I call scams of ego, which prey on the status anxieties and low self-esteem of insecure, fraud-prone people,” he wrote.

“World Championship, the ‘organization’ that conferred the ‘award’ on Dr. Nura, is a well-known scam operation that does not, for strategically fraudulent reasons, have a site with its own domain name. It uses a free sites.google.com account to perpetrate its scams.

“Anyone who pays a fee can get any—I mean ANY—award from the site. Check the site (link provided in the comment section below) to see the list of “award winners” it features in every imaginable field. You will find many Nigerians there. Some past Nigerian “winners” even managed to scam the ever credulous Nigerian news media into publicizing their “feat.”

“For instance, one Dr. Kaywood Leizou of the Niger Delta University (NDU) got a newspaper to write a story about his ‘award’ from this same fraudulent site on October 19, 2018. Titled ‘Bayelsa don wins

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

Armed forces remembrance day, zulum commends the sacrifice of the military, other security agencies in the fight against Boko Haram , other crimes, as he donates N10 Million

Published

on

Armed Forces Remembrance Day, Zulum commends the sacrifice of the military, other security agencies in the fight against Boko Haram, other crimes, as he donates N10 Million

By Madu Mohammed Maiduguri

The Borno state Governor Ptof. Babagana Zulum has commend the immense contribution and sacrifice of the military and other security agencies in the war against Boko Haram insurgency and other security challenges in the state and country at large.

Governor Babagana Zulum who made the commendation while speaking at the 2021 Armed Forces Remembrance Day held at the Ramat Square, Maiduguri on Friday said ” I must commend the immense contributions and sacrifice by the military and other security agencies, especially the gallant efforts they are making to tackle insurgency and other security challenges in the state and country at large. The Armed Forces are sacrificing their lives day and night to ensure security of lives and property of all citizens and we must appreciate them”.

Governor Zulim who was represented by his Deputy, Alhaji Umar Kadafur said “the Nigerian Armed forces Remembrance Day is indeed worthy of celebration by the Government and people of Borno state because of the sacrifices made by the military to ensure peace in the state and the Northeast region. At this point let me reiterate that Government is fully aware of the predicament of ex servicemen and will do everything possible within it’s limited resources and give them the necessary attention they required at all times.”

He said the week long celebration which kick started between 9th to 15th January is earmarked to offer special prayers for The departed souls of the fallen heroes and to see how best to reach to their families in recognition of their breadwinners’ selfless contribution to their fatherland, stressing that these annual of event will Nigerians that the labour of the fallen heroes are not left in vein.

” Last week I had an interface with the leadership of the Nigeria Legion , I made N10 million contribution to the families of the fallen heroes and I am also willing to do more to cushion their hardship. We must therefore, spare our time , resources and out blessings to remember these heroes always, not just in January every year, but in our daily prayers and activities”, the governor stressed.

In his remarks the Borno state Chairman of the Nigeria Legion, Captain William Mamza (rtd) thanked the Governor and the government of Borno state, the GOC 7 Division of the Nigerian Army, the Borno House of Assembly, Chief Judge and other dignitaries too numerous to mention for gracing the occasion and for their donations.

A total of N15 million were realized at the occasion with the highest contribution from the Borno state Governor, Prof Babagana Zulum, contributed the sum of N10 million, followed by the state executives, N2.2 million, Civil service N500,000 among others.

Continue Reading

Headlines

General Court Martial Sentenced a Soldier to death by firing squad, for shooting his officer to death, 6 others for various sentences

Published

on

General Court Martial sentences a soldier to death by firing squad, for shooting his officer to death, 6 others for various sentences

By Madu Mohammed Maiduguri

Theb General Court Martial of the 7 Division of the Nigerian Army of the Operation Lafiya Dole sitting in Maiduguri has sentenced Trooper Azunna Mmaduabuchi to death by firing squad for killing an officer, Lt Baba Shehu Ngorgi of 202 Battalion Bama and 6 others for various sentences for manslaughter and assault and convicted to sentences ranging from 4 years to 1 and reduction in rank from Lance Corporal to private.

While Delivering his judgement on Tuesday at the Maimalari cantonment Maiduguri, the President of the Court Brigadier General, Arikpo Ekubi said ” in the case of Nigerian Army versus trooper Azunna Mnaduabuchi with service No 16NA/ 75134 of 202 Battalion Bama was found guilty of the offence of murder under section 195(1) of the Armed Forces law Cap of the Federal Republic. This offence of murder is to suffer death as provided by section 106(1) this sentence is to be carried out by firing squad . May God have mercy on your soul. This judgement is subject to confirmation by the military authority. provided under section 151(1b) of the Armed forces Act .”

” The court observed that your action is unacceptable to the Nigerian Army for emptying 9 rounds of ammunition on your officer .Late Lt Shehu Ngorgi the murder is a heinous crime, your action is observed with displeasure. justice is a three way traffic, justice for the deceased, justice for the society and justice for the victim, this judgement hereby closed the case”, General Ekubi stated.

It could be recalled that Trooper Azunna Mmaduabuchi opened fire on his Adjutant commander, Lt Shehu Ngorgi of 202 Battalion Bama on 29th July 2020 while he was chatting with his wife on phone.

Also delivering his sentences on Sgt Ishaya Sani, Lance Corporal Fabiyi Ayedimi, Private Abdurasheed Adamu and private Musa Bala who were charged for manslaughter, the President of the court sentenced them to four, two, and one years each imprisonment respectively.

In his case summary, the Judge Advocate, Major Chikwudi Okonkwo said in the case of Sgt Ishaya Sani, Lance Corporal Fabiyi Abudemi, Private Abdurasheed Adamu and Private Musa Bala were charged for manslaughter for tying the hands of the deceased Peter Okogu and flogged him with Dogon Yaro cane where he sustained injury that later led to his death.

While Private Mohammed Kuru was sentenced to 3 years imprisonment for opening fire on air at a wedding ceremony of his friend that led to the death of a 12 year old boy, Adamu Musa Kolo in London Ciki area of Maiduguri metropolis.

The court also demoted Lance Corporal Aja Emmanuel of 21 Special Artillery Brigade Bama from Lance Corporal to Private for flogging Rahman Abdallah, with the victims wheat belt and placed broken blocks on his back which inflicted injuries on his body

In his plea, the defense counsel, Barrister Adetufa Babatunde pleaded to the court to temper justice with mercy considering the years they put in the Army, their dependents and as first offenders.

Speaking in an interview with newsmen, the parent of the deceased Adamu Musa Kolo, Abba Kolo said ” I am happy today this judgement has proved to us and the the world that the court martial is already a hope of a common man and an imperial court, because we did not accept we will get justice. I thank Nigerian Army for ensuring justice is done to the soul of my son We are happy with the judgement.

Also in an interview, Barrister Jummai Mshelia of the National Human Rights commission commended the military for ensuring the sanctity of human life by ensuring justice is done and called on general public whom rights were infringe to report to their offices across the 36 states.

Continue Reading

Headlines

We are not deterred by the injury we sustained, we’re to go back and End Boko Haram Madness in our land -Wounded Soldiers

Published

on

We are not deterred by the injury we sustained, we’re ready to go back and End Boko Haram madness in our land – sounded soldiers

By Madu Mohammed Maiduguri

Troops of Operation Lafiya Dole of the Nigerian Army who were wounded in the ongoing fight against insurgency in various operation within the theater and are currently receiving treatment at the 7 Division Medical Centre, Maimalari cantonment Maiduguri have expressed readiness to join their colleagues at the battlefield to ensure that the determination of the Army to end Boko Haram Insurgency in 2021 is actualize.

Our correspondent who spoke to Some soldiers who are currently recuperating at the 7 Division Hospital Maimalari Cantonment Maiduguri when the senate committee on Army visited the medical facility said they are more than ever committed to go back to the warfront to join their colleagues in the final push to end insurgency in the Northeast and the country at large.

The Senate Committee on Army was led by it’s chairman, Senator Mohammed Ndume said they were on a fact finding visit to the hospital on Sunday following a media report in some national dailies alleging that the Nigerian Army has abandoned troops wounded in the frontline .

While speaking on the alleged abandonment of wounded soldiers, a soldiers at the 7 Division Medical facility,Saidu Dahiru said “we are receiving the best of medical attention, we have been giving free drugs, feeding and some of us that need further attention were refered to University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH) and 44 military Hospital Kaduna, even yesterday 40 of our colleagues were flown out in an Air force aircraft to Kaduna for further medical attention”.

” In the coming one week InshaAllsh I will be discharged, I am not discourage with what happened to me, I am eager to go back to the battle Field and join my colleagues there untill we bring to an end the Boko Haram madness in our dear country, so that we will live in peace”, he stressed.

Another wounded soldier, Corporal Kolawole Omaseye, said ” I am not in any way demoralized by the injury I sustained during an encounters with Boko Haram insurgents who attacked our location on 23rd December, 2020 which was successfully repelled. I am more than ever ready to go back and meet my colleagues in the battle Field. We will not be detered by the setback, we will continue to perform our duties of protecting the territorial integrity and the citizens.”.

Briefing the Senate Committee, the Acting Commander 7 Division Hospital and Medical Services Colonel Ogbe Omoruyi said that the common injuries being treated in the facility include blast injuries and gunshot wounds, while severe cases are transferred to 44 Medical Centre Kaduna.

According to him the hospital is also partnering with other tertiary hospitals such as UMTH to ensure full recovery of wounded personnel.

In his remarks, the Chairman Senate Committee on Army Senator Mohammed Ndume lauded the resilience and sacrifice of the soldiers and urged them not to be discouraged in the fight against insurgency as the Nigeria Senate will continue to accord priority to their welfare.

Senator Ali Ndume while commending the Nigerian Army for improving the services of the hospital and expanding its capacity to a hundred bed facility, said ” I am here to see you, sympathize with you and told you that the Senate is with you and entire Nigerian are with you, we thank you for your sacrifice, we are proud of you, we are with you. We will continue to pray for you. We wish quick recovery”.

He said ” each time I visit the hospital, I see improvement and expansion. I am glad to know that the hospital is now 100 bedded capacity. The last time I was here there was no physiotherapy department and gymnastics facility and even the newly established Ear, Nose and Throat units.

Also speaking, the General Officer Commanding, 7 Division of the Nigerian Army, Major General Abdul Ibrahim said the sounded soldiers have been given the needed attention And wondered why some section of the media are trying are campaigning against the military.

While assuring Nigerians of the Nigerian Army determination to end insurgency, General Ibrahim said ” the Nigeria Army is determined to end Boko Haram insurgency in the year 2021. The Nigerian Army is for Nigeria and Nigerians We don’t have any other country than Nigeria all our hands must be on deck to end Boko Haram insurgency and other criminality in our land, “

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 Daily Hint News. Designed by VIS Nigeria