God, not ‘Abuja politicians’ will choose my successor- Shettima
By Haruna Yusuf Bama 22/8/2018
The Executive Governor of Borno State, Hon, Kashim Shettima, said on Tuesday that he does not have knowledge of the person that will succeed him come 2019.
￼He said he leaves the decision in the hands of God. The governor was however emphatic that his successor will definitely come from amongst politicians of the younger generation, an age bracket he said some ‘top persons’ in Abuja are not comfortable with.
“I, Kashim Shettima, cannot choose a governor for the people of Borno State. Only Allah can choose a governor for Borno,” he said.
“Whether one likes it or not, Allah has destined who the next governor of Borno will be,” he said.
￼Hon, Shettima who said this while hosting members of his cabinet and party officials to a Sallah lunch at the Government House, spoke in a tone that betrayed the fact that all is still not well within the larger APC family in Borno State.
The governor who came to power in May 2011 is already on his last year as the chief executive of Borno State having served for over seven years now.
This year’s Sallah celebration would be the last Mr Shettima will celebrate as a sitting governor.
He chose the opportunity to deliver what he called a farewell message and also address some of the issues concerning the politics of 2019.
The governor’s speech seemed largely triggered by what he described as ongoing comments from those he tagged as ‘Abuja Politicians’ whom he said have expressed displeasure that Borno State is derailing because governance is left in the hands of “inexperience younger generation”.
Mr Shettima, who is currently aspiring to become a senator did not however speak on his already settled ambition which is to take over the Borno central senatorial seat from the current occupant, Baba Garbai – his political ally.
Mr Garbai was also at the event when Mr Shettima made this statement.
In Borno State, everyone, including those considered very close allies and members of Hon, Shettima’s kitchen cabinet are in darkness as to who is likely going to be the governorship candidate of the APC.
When the governor decided to host his colleagues at the Borno State executive council to a luncheon on Tuesday, many who attended were expecting some form of clarity on the issue of 2019.
The only clarity they got was that it will certainly be from the new political order that is powered by the younger generation.
“This might be my last bit lunch with you, but believe me Insha Allah, life is a marathon, and in the fullness of time we will have the cause to celebrate more occasions.
“Electioneering season is around the corner. I want to assure you that Insha-Allah we shall put in our best to see that we leave behind a lasting legacy.
“Sadly, uncomfortably but truthfully, there can never be two captains in a single ship. There are quite a handful of ambitious colleagues of ours, but only one can be a governor. And that governor has been ordained by Allah.
“Kashim Shettima has no power to appoint a governor. I have no power to elect or impose a governor. It is Allah in his infinite mercy that will select the governor for us, Insha Allah. Our prayer is may that person be a symbol of our unity, a beacon of exclusivity, a symbol of a resurgent Borno.
“We are moving from a period of insurgency to that of resurgence. Borno shall rise from the ashes of defence.
Again insurgents cut off, Maiduguri from power supply, as residents appeals to FG to end decade long war against Boko Haram
Again, insurgents cut off, Maiduguri from power supply, as residents appealed to FG to end decade long war against Boko Haram
By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri
Barely 54 hours after the restoration of power supply back to Maiduguri the Borno state capital and its environs, Boko Haram insurgents have again planted Improvised Explosive Device (IED) and damaged the transmission line of the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) , and thrown the city into total darkness.
The electricity which was restored back on Wednesday, March 24 after about two months of blackout was again cut off as the insurgents again planted an IEDs that blown off the line resulting into second wave of the blackout in the early hours of yesterday.
It could be recalled that the Boko Haram insurgents planted IED and blown off the electricity on 26th of January, 2021 that thrown the city into total darkness but was restored on Wednesday 24th March, 2021 where it was again attacked by the insurgents on Saturday, 27th March,2021 barely less than 70 hours after the restoration.
Also Saturday, Feb. 27, five electricity workers were injured when a vehicle carrying them stepped on an IED planted by the insurgents and burnt down the cables meant for the restoration of the power.
Speaking on the vandalization, a Maiduguri resident, Alh Buba Ibrahim called on the Federal government and the military in particular to carry out clearing operations along the general Areas to get rid of the criminals, as their hide out are all know, stressing that the federal government should live up to its expectations and do the needful to end the over decade long insurgency, saying that *enough is enough”
Another Resident, Abdullahi.Ali.called on the Borno state government to connect the state capital with REB power supply pending the end of the insurgency, as even if the light is restored again they may vandalize it since it is very difficult to manned the electricity towers.
- I also call on President Buhari and the APC to end this insurgency, kidnappings, banditry among other crimes before 2023 if not what consumed PDP will consume the APC as security is a primary responsibility of any government”, he added. .,
General Attahiru Tours Operation Lafiya Dole On Operational Visit To Enhance Fight Against Boko Haram
General Attahiru tours Operation Lafiya Dole on Operational visit to enhance fight against Boko Haram
By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri
In order to boost the moral of the troops and enhance operation against Boko Haram, the Chief of Army (COAS), Lt General Ibrahim Attahiru has embarked on an one week Operational visit to Operation Lafiya Dole in the Northeast.
Addressing journalists shortly after he had a closed door meeting with the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 7 Division, Major General Abdul Ibrahim and principal officers of the Division at the Maimalari Cantonment, Maiduguri, General Attahiru said ” i am here on one week operational visit to the theater to enhance and boost the moral of our troops in the ongoing counter insurgency in the Northeast “
“The essence of this visit is to enhance, operations, boost the moral and motivate men and officers for better result for the total clampdown
of Boko Haram insurgents”, the COAS added.
General Ibrahim while inspecting some weapon reccovered from Boko Haram fighters said ” you can see some of the weapons we recovered from the insurgents, by the grace of God very soon we will end insurgency in the Northeast”.
It could be recalled that the COAS who was also in sector, Damaturu, the visit was less than 24 hours after their operational visit to the theater Operation Lafiya Dole alongside the Chief of Defense Staff (CDS), General Lucky Irabor and other service chiefs on Saturday.
We Will Address Your Challenges – COAS Tell Troops
We will address your challenges – COAS Tell Troops
By Baba Saleh, Damaturu
The Chief of Army Staff Lieutenant General Ibrahim Attahiru has reiterated his commitment to address the challenges faced by the troops in fighting the Boko Haram insurgency in the North East.
The Army Chief made the disclosure Sunday in Damaturu while addressing troops at the headquarters of Sector 2 Operation Lafiya Dole .
According to him the purpose of his visit was to familiarise with the troops, adding that “The essence is to meet the soldiers to get to know us and we get to know them as well.
He said “We hear their challenges at the course of conducting their operations, we try our level best to ensure we solve these problems and ensure morale is at the highest level as we go to confront Boko Haram and the entire insurgency, in the final end to bring the insurgency to an end.
“I bring you a very special greetings from the President Commander in Chief, he is fully briefed and aware of how and well you are doing.
“I personally as your Chief of army staff, I am here to take cognizance and note of the challenges you have and ensure they are addressed, to ensure you have the highest level of morale to be able to do your job and do it proudly as Nigerian soldiers.
“I am very pleased your commanders have told me what you have done collectively as part of “operation tura takai bango” how you have pushed the Boko Haram insurgents we are so proud of you”
“And I believe in the second phase of that operation you will do more. So ensure you go out there and push them so hard and bring this entire insurgency to an end, all your challenges I’ve catalogued I will address all the problems”
Headlines3 years ago
Bombshell: How Corrupt Brigadier General Clement Apere Deliberately Sends Soldiers to Die in the hands Of Boko-Haram
National1 year ago
Nigerian Army Bans Another NGO from operating in the Northeast
Opinion3 years ago
MAI MALA BUNI THE CELEBRITY OF THE MOMENT
Headlines3 years ago
Oil License Not Renewable-President Buhari
National1 year ago
Baga communities are now safe, return back home, operation lafiya Dole tells people of Baga and it’s adjoining villages
Politics11 months ago
Ruling Borno is like Ruling a Small Country, I saw my children only 3 times in the first 65 days in office – Gov. Zulum
Opinion3 years ago
YOBE 2019: Why Maimala Buni Will Emerge Winner
Metro2 years ago
FMC Yola Jummat Mosque Is One Year: Time Utilisation, The Last Qutba