Connect with us

Headlines

How powerful forces blocked president’s early plan to fire daura

Published

on

How Powerful Forces Blocked President’s Earlier Plan to Fire Daura

By Ahmed umar Abuja  19/8/2018

Revelations emerged last night that President Muhammadu Buhari had two weeks before departing for London on a vacation, concluded plans to fire the ex-Director-General of the Department of State Services (DSS), Lawal Daura.

A top presidential source who did not want to be named told THISDAY last night that two weeks before Buhari left Nigeria for the United Kingdom on a 10-day working vacation, he and the Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo had reviewed the appointment of Daura and resolved to ease him out.

According to the source, the move to give Daura the boot however, failed because certain influential forces in the corridors of power swiftly moved to block the plan.

The source added however, that whereas such influential forces had thought that they had effectively frustrated the plans to lay off Daura, it was unknown to them that there was yet another undisclosed plan by both the president and his deputy to sack some security chiefs including Daura after jointly reviewing their activities.

The source further disclosed that while the president who returned to the country yesterday evening was away, Osinbajo was always in touch with him, discussing emerging issues with him and both of them agreeing to decisions made before proceeding to carry them out.

The source said it was not only the dismissal of Daura that was jointly taken by both Buhari and Osinbajo, other decisions such as the latter’s order to overhaul Special Anti-robbery Squad (SARS) as well as last Thursday’s decision of the National Economic Council (NEC) to constitute a committee to come up with how best to decentralise the Nigeria Police had both been pondered by both men.

He said the president always encouraged the acting president to do whatever was necessary to be done and ensured that he fully took charge of the reins of power in his absence.

“Even regarding the overhaul of the SARS which the Acting President announced recently, top sources in the Villa explained that the matter had featured prominently in regular interactions of both the President and the VP and also interactions by both of them with the Inspector-General of Police.
Although Daura may have some explanation to do, the service itself is not under probe, a highly placed official in the Presidency told THISDAY.

The source said the clarification became necessary in view of the fear in certain quarters that a secret service was being subjected to a public probe that might threaten its operations and efficiency in the future.
The source also explained that no substantial incriminating evidence was found following the searches conducted so far in the residences and guest houses of Daura.
However, he said investigating authorities were holding on to suspected depletion of funds he inherited from his predecessor, Ekpenyong Ita.

Another source who confided in THISDAY said all the funds handed over to Daura were in the public domain.
He said: “The monies handed over are a public knowledge. When the director general of such service hands over, copies are customarily sent to the President, the National Security Adviser, the service itself, the incoming and outgoing directors general would have their copies.”

Investigation reveals that Ekpeyong handed over to Daura various sums of money including $21.2m ($21,237,435.72), N12.96 billion (N12,960,480,740.38) of pension fund as well as N2.2 billion (N2,207,647,550.03) in serial account.
There were also various amounts like N2.2 billion) (N2,206,259,191.89 ) for insurance and 20 others.

On what Daura is actually being probed for, the source said: “We are not probing the operations account of the service but certain bulk figures that there may be questions as at June this year when the balance from the fund stood at less than N6 billion from the N12.9 billion that was handed over to him.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

UN condemns in strong terms the killing of over 60 farmers in Borno

Published

on

UN condemns in strong terms the killings of over 60 farmers in Borno

By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri

The United Nations has condemned in strong terms the attacking

and killing of over 60 farmers by Boko Haram insurgents in Zabarmari wards of Jere local government area of Borno state. Who have went to their farms to harvest their produced

The country representative of the UN in a statement issued to journalists in Maiduguri on Sunday said “I strongly condemn this attack and any act of violence against innocent civilians and I firmly urge all actors on the ground to respect international laws and humanity. Rural communities in Borno State are facing untold hardships. Helping them to farm land and rebuild livelihoods are amongst our priorities and the only way to avoid the looming food crisis in Borno State. “

He said ” ” I am outraged and horrified by the gruesome attack against civilians carried out by non-state armed groups in villages near Borno State capital Maiduguri.”

Mr Katlon said “at least 110 civilians were ruthlessly killed and many others were wounded in this attack. In early afternoon of 28 November,2020, armed men on motorcycles led a brutal attack on civilian men and women who were harvesting their fields in Koshobe and other rural communities in Jere Local Government Area. Reports we are receiving are indicating these innocent farmers were the victims of this callous violence”.

The statement further said ” I extend my sincere condolences to the families of the civilians who lost their lives in this atrocious attack. I also wish a speedy recovery to those who were wounded in the incident. We have also received reports that several women may have been kidnapped. I call for their immediate release and return to safety”

The country representative of the UN said “my thoughts are also with the rural communities in the area, who are shocked by the brutality of yesterday’s attack and fear for their safety. The entire UN system and the humanitarian community working to provide life-saving and development assistance to the most vulnerable in Borno State is outraged by the incident. Such direct attacks against innocent civilians jeopardize the ability for the most vulnerable people to survive the adversity there are facing, and which we are striving to alleviate.”

“The incident is the most violent direct attack against innocent civilians this year. I call for the perpetrators of this heinous and senseless act to be brought to justice. It is unfortunately one of too many such attacks targeting farmers, fishermen and families who are trying to recover some livelihood opportunity after over a decade of conflict”, the statement added.

The UN said the people of the area and all other civilians need to be protected and spared from any kind of violence, adding that Innocent women, children and men desperately need food and other support and assistance, particularly at a time when they are recording some of the highest levels of food insecurity in Borno State and call for humanitarian community to do their utmost to help them survive these difficult times.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Army Releases Another Batch of Boko Haram Wanted List

Published

on

ARMY RELEASES ANOTHER BATCH OF BOKO HARAM WANTED LIST

By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri

The Nigerian Military has made public another batch of 86 wanted Boko Haram terrorists to the general public in it’s efforts to finally defeat insurgency and also flagged off the operationalization of the members of the Civilian Joint Task Force ( CJTF) in the Super Camp concept of the Nigerian Army.

The 86 wanted Boko.Haram lists includes that of it’s leader Abubakar Shekau on number 100, ISWAP leader Abu Musa Al Barnawi, , modu Sulum, 304, mallam Umar, Mallam Bello Husba, Abu Musab Barnawi, Abu Imma, Ibrahim Abu Maryam, Baka browsing, Kwasari, Mallam Yan Kolo, Bana Gomna, Mohammed Abu Maryam, Abu Dardda among others

While flagging off the operationalization of the CJTF and launching of the fourth batch of the wanted list of the Boko Haram terrorists at the Chabbal Super Camp, Maiduguri on Wednesday, the Chief of Army Staff , (COAS), Lt General Tukur Buratai said ” as we are poised to carry out our final push to flush out Boko Haram, it’s therefore my opportunity to invest the 4th list of the wanted Boko Haram list.”

” We are going to make the list available to all our formations and CJTF locations, they may be at your backyard or your markets, you should fish them out, and arrest them. During the first, second and third wanted list we have succeeded in arresting many insurgents and made them to face the wrath of the law”, General Buratai added.

The COAS further said ” the concert of the Volunteer forces started back in 18 century with the volunteers from various war front to form Delta force,. The CJTF started in 2013 to 2014 here in Maiduguri, where they played a major role in chasing out Boko Haram out of Maiduguri and other towns in the state, since then they have been playing a great role in the counter insurgency war “.

General Buratai said ” the induction of the CJTF into the operation of Super camp will help in identifying, the Boko Haram and their enclaves, we have been stressing that the fight against insurgency is not left for the military alone, hence the collaboration with the government in releasing the CJTF is important in our final push”.

He commended Governor Zulum for approving the release of the CJTF, adding that with the collaboration between the military and CJTF the insurgency will soon come to an end.

Also speaking, Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno state said ” this occasion of streamlining the CJTF into the operations of the Nigerian military in a collaborative efforts and the launching of 4th Batch of the wanted list of Boko Haram is very important in the fight against insurgents and the kind of collaboration we have been calling for”.

While announcing the donation of additional100 motorcycles to be injected into the concert, the governor ” this government will continue to support the CJTF in complimenting the Nigerian military in the fight against Boko Haram”

“Peace is necessary, the nexus between peace and development cannot be over emphasis, this operation would help us in our developmental efforts”,the governor stressed.

Governor Zulum further said ” for those Boko Haram that are still in the bush, I am calling on you to surrender, because you are killing your sister and brothers and destroying infrastructures built with your money. You should have a rethink and give peace a chance”.

He also called on the people of Borno state to support the military in discharging their duties and also played for the repose of the souls of those killed in the fight and their families the fortitude to bear the lost.

Earlier, in his welcome address, the theater commander Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Farouk Yahaya said* the super camp concept has been conceptualize in the theater but the induction of the CJTF in the Super camp is major step in the fight against Boko Haram.

He commended governor Zulum for supporting the military and the state Attorney General of the state which have being the link between the government and the military for his commitment and support to the operation .

Continue Reading

Headlines

UN Assures Northeast of It’s Support In Resettlement Programs

Published

on

UN ASSURES NORTHEAST OF ITS SUPPORT IN RESETTLEMENT PROGRAMS

By Madu Mohammed Maiduguri

The United Nations Deputy Secretary General, Hajiya Amina Mohammed has assured Borno state government that the UN will continue to support the resettlement and stabilization process in the Northeast.

Speaking shortly after her assessment visit to Banki at the Maiduguri International Airport on Tuesday, Hajiya Amina Mohammed said ” we are in Borno as part of our visit to Nigeria, Mali, Sierra Leone, Ghana and Cameroon to assess the security situation and the needs of the people”

‘” I was in Banki and I am pleased to see life is retiring to normalcy in the areas. I interacted with the Internally Displaced Persons, (IDPS) and thousands of them are willing to go back to their communities’, the Deputy Secretary General stated.

While at a courtesy Call on Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno state at the Government House, Maiduguri, Hajiya Amina Mohammed said COVID 19 pandemic have affected the socio-economy of the world but the UN is doing everything possible to see to the funding of the resettlement process in the Northeast.

” Borno state was greatly affected by the Boko Haram insurgency but there is also opportunities in the state.we look forward for continued partnership and collaboration with the Borno state government”, she added.

She commended the way and manner the Borno state government was handling the post insurgency resettlement process and the humanitarian activities in the state, saying that ” yesterday I was discussing with President Buhari and he told me he was impressed with the way you are handling the post insurgency resettlement process.”

Responding Governor Babgana Zulum of Borno state said ” your presence indicates the UN concern and support to the people of Borno state. I am happy to inform you that there is appreciable peace in Borno and we have returned most of our IDPs back to their communities.”

” I want to also inform you that we have finish discussion and InshaAllah come December 5th 2020, we are going to relocate our people from Minawawo camp in Cameroon republic to Banki”, the governor said.

He urged international donor to support the stabilization process of the government, as the programme has run out of fund and called on all partners to put the Borno state government at the driving seat of the resettlement program .

He also assured that the Borno state government will continue to work in collaboration with all partners in transparent way in the provision of shelter, foods, health and other liviilhood supports.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 Daily Hint News. Designed by VIS Nigeria