Connect with us

Headlines

Nass Crisis: How Saraki made his Impeachment Difficult- Lai mohammed

Published

on

NASS crisis: How Saraki made his impeachment difficult – Lai Mohammed

Haruna Yusuf Abuja   14/8/2018

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, has revealed why it has been difficult for the All Progressives Congress, APC, to remove Dr. Bukola Saraki as Senate President.

Mohammed, speaking how the problems being witnessed in the ruling party started, said that Saraki forced himself into the office of the Senate President and made Ike Ekweremmadu, from the opposition, his deputy.

The Minister quoted Saraki as saying that ‘If you remove me, you are going to have PDP as Senate President’ adding that the Senate President had aligned and worked for the PDP all along.

Mohammed said this in an interview with newsmen in Lagos, where be reacted to the gale of defections in the APC.

He said that recent events in the party did not come to him as surprise, adding that they were expected.

He said, “The foundation for what you see today was laid the day the Senate President forced himself on the party as Senate President.

“That was the day the foundation for what you are witnessing today was laid because traditionally, it is the party’s prerogative who becomes the presiding officers in the two houses. Here, we were met with a fait accompli when Dr. Bukola Saraki, against the wishes of the party, did the unthinkable by aligning with the opposition and making them an offer they could not refuse.

“I can’t quite remember the number, but almost the entire 40 plus senators in PDP voted for him. So, he needed only a minority from the APC. We were all waiting for Mr. President to come and address us on this issue at the International Conference Centre, it was announced that he (Bukola) had emerged as the Senate President.

“From that day, we knew we had two problems: one, we had a Senate President who imposed himself on the party, and to make it worse, as an insurance, he arranged for an opposition person to be Deputy Senate President; that makes it impossible for us to remove him, hence his thinking, ‘If you remove me, you are going to have a PDP Senate President.’

“From that day, we had a problem. This is not a surprise at all. Of course, you could see the behaviour of the National Assembly since then. We have a National Assembly in which we had a clear majority in both houses, but which treated the executive with contempt and actually slowed down the work of government.

“In 2016, 2017 and 2018, our budgets were delayed. In 2016 and 2017, the earliest we got our budgets was June. Key appointments, nominations and confirmations for key organisations that could move the government forward like the CBN, like the NDIC, were delayed.
“Really, it couldn’t have been worse if the PDP had a majority in the National Assembly.”

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

UN condemns in strong terms the killing of over 60 farmers in Borno

Published

on

UN condemns in strong terms the killings of over 60 farmers in Borno

By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri

The United Nations has condemned in strong terms the attacking

and killing of over 60 farmers by Boko Haram insurgents in Zabarmari wards of Jere local government area of Borno state. Who have went to their farms to harvest their produced

The country representative of the UN in a statement issued to journalists in Maiduguri on Sunday said “I strongly condemn this attack and any act of violence against innocent civilians and I firmly urge all actors on the ground to respect international laws and humanity. Rural communities in Borno State are facing untold hardships. Helping them to farm land and rebuild livelihoods are amongst our priorities and the only way to avoid the looming food crisis in Borno State. “

He said ” ” I am outraged and horrified by the gruesome attack against civilians carried out by non-state armed groups in villages near Borno State capital Maiduguri.”

Mr Katlon said “at least 110 civilians were ruthlessly killed and many others were wounded in this attack. In early afternoon of 28 November,2020, armed men on motorcycles led a brutal attack on civilian men and women who were harvesting their fields in Koshobe and other rural communities in Jere Local Government Area. Reports we are receiving are indicating these innocent farmers were the victims of this callous violence”.

The statement further said ” I extend my sincere condolences to the families of the civilians who lost their lives in this atrocious attack. I also wish a speedy recovery to those who were wounded in the incident. We have also received reports that several women may have been kidnapped. I call for their immediate release and return to safety”

The country representative of the UN said “my thoughts are also with the rural communities in the area, who are shocked by the brutality of yesterday’s attack and fear for their safety. The entire UN system and the humanitarian community working to provide life-saving and development assistance to the most vulnerable in Borno State is outraged by the incident. Such direct attacks against innocent civilians jeopardize the ability for the most vulnerable people to survive the adversity there are facing, and which we are striving to alleviate.”

“The incident is the most violent direct attack against innocent civilians this year. I call for the perpetrators of this heinous and senseless act to be brought to justice. It is unfortunately one of too many such attacks targeting farmers, fishermen and families who are trying to recover some livelihood opportunity after over a decade of conflict”, the statement added.

The UN said the people of the area and all other civilians need to be protected and spared from any kind of violence, adding that Innocent women, children and men desperately need food and other support and assistance, particularly at a time when they are recording some of the highest levels of food insecurity in Borno State and call for humanitarian community to do their utmost to help them survive these difficult times.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Army Releases Another Batch of Boko Haram Wanted List

Published

on

ARMY RELEASES ANOTHER BATCH OF BOKO HARAM WANTED LIST

By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri

The Nigerian Military has made public another batch of 86 wanted Boko Haram terrorists to the general public in it’s efforts to finally defeat insurgency and also flagged off the operationalization of the members of the Civilian Joint Task Force ( CJTF) in the Super Camp concept of the Nigerian Army.

The 86 wanted Boko.Haram lists includes that of it’s leader Abubakar Shekau on number 100, ISWAP leader Abu Musa Al Barnawi, , modu Sulum, 304, mallam Umar, Mallam Bello Husba, Abu Musab Barnawi, Abu Imma, Ibrahim Abu Maryam, Baka browsing, Kwasari, Mallam Yan Kolo, Bana Gomna, Mohammed Abu Maryam, Abu Dardda among others

While flagging off the operationalization of the CJTF and launching of the fourth batch of the wanted list of the Boko Haram terrorists at the Chabbal Super Camp, Maiduguri on Wednesday, the Chief of Army Staff , (COAS), Lt General Tukur Buratai said ” as we are poised to carry out our final push to flush out Boko Haram, it’s therefore my opportunity to invest the 4th list of the wanted Boko Haram list.”

” We are going to make the list available to all our formations and CJTF locations, they may be at your backyard or your markets, you should fish them out, and arrest them. During the first, second and third wanted list we have succeeded in arresting many insurgents and made them to face the wrath of the law”, General Buratai added.

The COAS further said ” the concert of the Volunteer forces started back in 18 century with the volunteers from various war front to form Delta force,. The CJTF started in 2013 to 2014 here in Maiduguri, where they played a major role in chasing out Boko Haram out of Maiduguri and other towns in the state, since then they have been playing a great role in the counter insurgency war “.

General Buratai said ” the induction of the CJTF into the operation of Super camp will help in identifying, the Boko Haram and their enclaves, we have been stressing that the fight against insurgency is not left for the military alone, hence the collaboration with the government in releasing the CJTF is important in our final push”.

He commended Governor Zulum for approving the release of the CJTF, adding that with the collaboration between the military and CJTF the insurgency will soon come to an end.

Also speaking, Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno state said ” this occasion of streamlining the CJTF into the operations of the Nigerian military in a collaborative efforts and the launching of 4th Batch of the wanted list of Boko Haram is very important in the fight against insurgents and the kind of collaboration we have been calling for”.

While announcing the donation of additional100 motorcycles to be injected into the concert, the governor ” this government will continue to support the CJTF in complimenting the Nigerian military in the fight against Boko Haram”

“Peace is necessary, the nexus between peace and development cannot be over emphasis, this operation would help us in our developmental efforts”,the governor stressed.

Governor Zulum further said ” for those Boko Haram that are still in the bush, I am calling on you to surrender, because you are killing your sister and brothers and destroying infrastructures built with your money. You should have a rethink and give peace a chance”.

He also called on the people of Borno state to support the military in discharging their duties and also played for the repose of the souls of those killed in the fight and their families the fortitude to bear the lost.

Earlier, in his welcome address, the theater commander Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Farouk Yahaya said* the super camp concept has been conceptualize in the theater but the induction of the CJTF in the Super camp is major step in the fight against Boko Haram.

He commended governor Zulum for supporting the military and the state Attorney General of the state which have being the link between the government and the military for his commitment and support to the operation .

Continue Reading

Headlines

UN Assures Northeast of It’s Support In Resettlement Programs

Published

on

UN ASSURES NORTHEAST OF ITS SUPPORT IN RESETTLEMENT PROGRAMS

By Madu Mohammed Maiduguri

The United Nations Deputy Secretary General, Hajiya Amina Mohammed has assured Borno state government that the UN will continue to support the resettlement and stabilization process in the Northeast.

Speaking shortly after her assessment visit to Banki at the Maiduguri International Airport on Tuesday, Hajiya Amina Mohammed said ” we are in Borno as part of our visit to Nigeria, Mali, Sierra Leone, Ghana and Cameroon to assess the security situation and the needs of the people”

‘” I was in Banki and I am pleased to see life is retiring to normalcy in the areas. I interacted with the Internally Displaced Persons, (IDPS) and thousands of them are willing to go back to their communities’, the Deputy Secretary General stated.

While at a courtesy Call on Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno state at the Government House, Maiduguri, Hajiya Amina Mohammed said COVID 19 pandemic have affected the socio-economy of the world but the UN is doing everything possible to see to the funding of the resettlement process in the Northeast.

” Borno state was greatly affected by the Boko Haram insurgency but there is also opportunities in the state.we look forward for continued partnership and collaboration with the Borno state government”, she added.

She commended the way and manner the Borno state government was handling the post insurgency resettlement process and the humanitarian activities in the state, saying that ” yesterday I was discussing with President Buhari and he told me he was impressed with the way you are handling the post insurgency resettlement process.”

Responding Governor Babgana Zulum of Borno state said ” your presence indicates the UN concern and support to the people of Borno state. I am happy to inform you that there is appreciable peace in Borno and we have returned most of our IDPs back to their communities.”

” I want to also inform you that we have finish discussion and InshaAllah come December 5th 2020, we are going to relocate our people from Minawawo camp in Cameroon republic to Banki”, the governor said.

He urged international donor to support the stabilization process of the government, as the programme has run out of fund and called on all partners to put the Borno state government at the driving seat of the resettlement program .

He also assured that the Borno state government will continue to work in collaboration with all partners in transparent way in the provision of shelter, foods, health and other liviilhood supports.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 Daily Hint News. Designed by VIS Nigeria