Connect with us

News

Rising Cases of Cholera Outbreak, Borno Government Inaugurates Control Committee

Published

on

Rising cases of Cholera outbreak, Borno government inaugurates control committee

By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri

Due to the rising cases of cholera outbreak from 559cases to 917 from 10 local government areas of the state, the Borno state Government has inaugurated an 11 man committee for the control of cholera outbreak to contain the outbreak.

While inaugurating the committee at the Council Chamber of the Deputy Governor’s office, Maiduguri, on Tuesday the Borno state Deputy Governor, Alhaji Umar Kadafur said ” the ministry of Health on Tuesday last week confirmed the death of of 43 persons from cholera outbreak in the state with 559 suspected cases. The outbreak was recorded in Maiduguri Metropolitan Councils, (MMC), Gwoza, Kaga, Hawul, Magumeri, Damboa, and Jere local government areas, with 18 deaths”.

” It is with deep sense of responsibility that I am today inaugurating the High powered Committee for the control of cholera outbreak in the state, which has already been reported in some parts of the state. The constitution of the committee became rather necessary in view of the Governments”s commitment to return and resettle all Internally Displaced Person (IDP), camps to their various communities. The sudden outbreak of the cholera became a serious issues of concern to the Government and in view of that we will not fold our hands and see our people suffering but take prompt action to safe their lives”, the Deputy Governor added.

The committee which was headed by the Chief of Staff to the Governor Babagana Zulum has the state commissioner for health as secretary, other members are Commissioner for Local Government and Emirate Affairs, Hon Sugum Maimele,, commissioner for Information, Hon Babakura Jatau, the CMD, Hospital Management Board, Prof Mohammed Arab، General Manager Borno state Environmental Protection Agency, (BOSEOA), , Abubakar Suleiman, Director Primary Health care, Dr Goni Abba, Director EPI, Dr Samuel Thizza, Director Public Health, Dr Lawi Mshelizza, representatives of WHO, MSF among others

Alhaji Umar Kadafur further explained that “it was further revealed that ,354 cases were recorded in Gwoza, with 18 death, while Hawul recorded 126 cases with 11 deaths, the remaining are Kaga with 22 cases and 2 deaths, Magumeri 6 cases with 1 deaths, others are Damboa with 39 cases 10 deaths, Jere 8 cases, while MMC has 4 cases with no death because of quick intervention of the medical personnel”

The committee has the following terms of reference, to determined the extent of the outbreak in the state, determined the level of preparedness on ground for the control of the outbreak, ascertain the causes of the cholera, , ensure effective collaboration with the outbreak response team determined the needs/ requirements for the control of the outbreak, mobilized and coordinate, all resources available for the control/ prevention of the outbreak, ensure the establishment of situation rooms for regular updates and activate all local government areas Rapid Response Team.

While assuring that the government is ever ready to give them the necessary support to enable them Carry out their assignment successfully, the deputy Governor appealed to the general public to accord the committee the necessary support and cooperation to accomplish their assignment.

Responding, the chairman of the committee, Prof. Isa Hussaini said ” on behalf of members of the committee, I Want to express our gratitude for believing in us . it is unfortunate that in this 21 century we are still witnessing cholera outbreak. I promised you that we are going swing into action now, we are going to contain the outbreak and also proffer ways of forestalling future occurrence ” . “.

Speaking to newsmen shortly after the inauguration of the committee, the secretary of the committee, who is also the state commissioner for health, Comrade Juliana Bitrus said ” actually because of the movement of the IDPs , we kept on recording new cases. Initially we witnessed 559 cases but now we have 917 cases with no new death. New suspected cases were recorded in 3 new local government areas of Biu,, Shani and Kwaya kusar , “

” Like that of Shani we witnessed one case but we were able to isolate the patient and up till this moment, it was still that one case, so we were able to contained it. We are on it, with the setting up of this committee, we are going to contain the outbreak, ” she stated.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Governor Buni Mourns Air Strike Victims, Assures investigation of incident

Published

on

Governor Buni Mourns Air Strike Victims, Assures investigation of incident

By Usman Bello, Damaturu

Yobe state Governor Hon. Mai Mala Buni, has commiserated with families of those who lost their lives in the unfortunate Air strike on Buhari village in Yunusari local government area of the state.

He said although it could have been an accident or mistaken target, but government will join hands with the security agencies to unravel the root cause of the incident.

Governor Buni directed his Special Adviser on Security Affairs, to liaise with the Nigeria Airforce and the Multi National Joint Task Force, to look into the unfortunate Air strike.

“Government will work closely with the security forces especially the Nigeria Airforce to establish what actually happened” Governor Buni assured.

“This is very important and necessary for us to guard against future occurance and to safeguard the lives of our people.”

Governor Buni also assured the preparedness of his administration to work with all security forces to ensure the safety of the state.

Meanwhile, the governor has directed government hospitals in Geidam and Damaturu to offer free medical services to those who sustained injuries from the air strike.

Similarly, the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) has been directed to provide relief materials to cater for the immediate needs of the families of the deceased persons and other members of the community.

Continue Reading

News

MD FMC Abuja Bags Georgia Prostrate Cancer Coalition 2021 Award

Published

on

MD FMC Abuja bags Georgia Prostate Cancer Coalition 2021 Award

By Adamu Mohammed Dodo, Abuja

The Medical Director, Federal Medical Centre, FMC Abuja, Nigeria, Prof Saad Ahmed has bagged the prestigious Georgia Prostate Cancer Coalition 2021 award, in recognition of his outstanding selfless service, dedicated to improving mental and physical health worldwide and to the immediate community.

According to the press statement Saturday, released by the head of Information and Media Relations FMC Abuja, Mr Omolofe Kayode, “the award followed Prof Saad’s numerous contributions to the community and his excellent role as a Presenter/Facilitator at the International Health Summit of the Georgia Prostate Cancer Coalition, Atlanta USA.

“This is a clear testament of reward for impactful hard work and selfless service to humanity”.

The statement further congratulated the global achiever in Prof Saad “for putting FMC Abuja and Nigeria as a whole, on the global map with this ‘international recognition award”.

Continue Reading

News

Gov. Buni Inspects Gujba-Mutai Road, As NEDC Pledge To Construct The 54 KM Mutai-Ngalda Road

Published

on

Gov Buni Inspects Gujba-Mutai Road, As NEDC Pledge To Construct The 54km Mutai- Ngalda Road

By Usman Bello, Damaturu

Yobe State Governor and Chairman APC Caretaker Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee, Hon. Mai Mala Buni, today inspected the 40km Gujba-Mutai road awarded under the Multi-Sectoral Crisis Recovery Project (MCRP)

The governor said although the pace of work on the project had been slowed down by insurgency attacks on the company, there is significant progress made on the project.

He directed the contractors to engage more equipment and personnel to facilitate its completion.

“This is very important because, the more the delay, the more the escalation in prices of materials which will attract avoidable variations of the contract” he warned.

The governor said his administration remains committed to complete all ongoing projects and put them to use for the benefit of the people of the state.

Governor Buni commended the North East Development Commission for taking over the construction of the 54km Mutai-Ngalda portion of the road.

“I am happy that the Managing Director of North East Development Commission is here and he assured us of the commencement of the 54km Wagir-Mutai-Ngalda road, this is quite encouraging.

“Of course we have to thank Mr President for establishing the North East Development Commission and what he has been doing to ensure that we rebuild the northeast,” he said.

Alhaji Mohammed Alkali, the NEDC Managing Director, said the execution of the 54km portion of the project was in consonance with the NEDC’s programme of providing infrastructural needs of the people.

Earlier, the MCRP state Coordinator, Mallam Musa Idi Jidawa, briefed the governor on the factors militating against the speedy progression of the project which include inadequate machines and manpower.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 Daily Hint News. Designed by VIS Nigeria