Soldiers abscond with GOC’s millions
by Daily Hint July 15, 2019
arrested as Army begins investigation
The Nigerian Army said yesterday that investigation has commenced into the case involving some soldiers who allegedly carted away a consignment while on escort duty from Sokoto to Kaduna.
A source revealed that the consignment was containing cash amounting to millions of naira which they were asked to deliver by a VIP.
The Army gave the names of the runaway soldiers as Cpl. Gabriel Oluwaniyi, Cpl. Mohammed Aminu, LCpl. Commander Haruna, LCpl. Oluji Joshua, and LCpl. Hayatudeen.
They were said to be members of Operation Harbin Kunama III in Sokoto.
Spokesman for the 8 Division, Nigerian Army, Sokoto, Lieutenant Audu Arigu, who confirmed that the soldiers fled while on escort duty, said “The wanted soldiers were detailed for legitimate escort duty for a VIP. However, they chose to rob the VIP
“Investigation has commenced to unravel the circumstances and whereabouts of the soldiers.” Lieutenant Arigu was however silent on the identity of the VIP robbed by the fleeing soldiers or the total amount of money or valuables they took from him.
A credible source with knowledge of what happened told the Daily Trust last night that the said VIP is Maj. Gen. Hakeem Otiki, the GOC of the 8 Div. Nigerian Army Sokoto.
He said contrary to reports, the GOC was not in the convoy when the escorts absconded, saying the GOC only detailed them from Sokoto to deliver the message.
“The GOC or the said VIP couldn’t have been in the convoy, it didn’t add up…He only sent them based on trust,” he said.
The source, who does not want to be mentioned because of the sensitive nature of the matter, said the “consignment” definitely belonged to the GOC of 8 Division Sokoto.
“The money is definitely huge, most probably hundreds of millions,” he said.
Two of the runaway soldiers arrested
According to the source, “It is normal in the military, every senior person has his trusted foot soldiers; some officers even entrust their families and top secrets to such soldiers and this is what played out with the GOC in Sokoto; he entrusted them with the money and they fled with it.
“Again, I want to assure that two of the absconding soldiers have been arrested and there is the high probability that the rest would also be arrested. I will not tell you the names, the Army will reveal the names very soon.
“However, the damage has been done. As a matter of protocol, the arrested soldiers would be asked the source of the money; who authorised them to use the vehicles and many other questions. The discovery will be a bad day for many people,” the source said.
Daily Trust reports that until his deployment to Sokoto as GOC, General Otiki was the Commander Infantry Corps (CIC) in Jaji, Kaduna State.
It was gathered that all the absconding soldiers now being trailed by the Nigerian Army were also from Jaji but moved to Sokoto at the instance of Gen. Otiki.
Sources said the soldiers left Sokoto on Tuesday, July 11 en route Abuja but decided to abort the mission around Jaji.
“The real target of the absconding soldiers was the money because they abandoned the Hilux, the gun trucks, their uniforms and guns,” our source said.
“And when they couldn’t reach their destination and couldn’t go back to Sokoto, there was disquiet and agitation at the highest quarters in Sokoto.
“The rumour began to circulate in the barracks and when it was evident that what happened had been leaked, a scanty statement was issued,” the source added.
President Buhari Commissions Trauma Centre, 4 other landmark project in UMTH
President Buhari commissions Trauma Centre, 4 other landmark projects in UMTH
By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri
President Muhammadu Buhari has on Thursday commissioned a 150 bed capacity, Muhammadu Buhari Trauma centre, Physical Rehabilitation center among 3 other projects at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, Maiduguri
President Buhari made the assurance while speaking via zoom at the occasion of the Landmark commissioning projects held at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, Maiduguri on Thursday assured Nigerian of his administration’s commitment to improve the health care delivery of it’s citizens across the country.
“this events we are witnessing today shows the commitment of the Federal government in tackling the growing health challenges of ithe people of the Northeast. The emerging diseases made it necessary for the government to come up with measures such as 150 bed capacity Trauma center, among other projects . I Urge Nigerians to take advantage of the unprecedented facilities. I also use the opportunity to urge those handling the centers to take proper care of the facilities”, the President added.
“The multi purpose auditorium and conference hall constructed and furnished for University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital by the Government of Borno State, under the leadership of His Excellency, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, I see a clear display of participatory ownership and example of sound relationship between federal and state government” Buhari said
While commending the UMTh board and management for the achievements, President Buhari directed the Head of Service of the Federation, minister of Finance to look at the manpower needs of the hospital, adding that Nigerians are proud of the UMTH.
President Buhari who spoke from the state house in Abuja, virtually commissioned some landmark projects at the UMTH, one of which was the the auditorium started from scratch as intervention by Borno state government.
In his remarks, Governor Babagana Umara Zulum of Borno state commended the Federal for the laudable projects executed under the Buhari administration in Borno.
“This institution (UMTH) has never witnessed such laudable developmental projects at once, from its inception to date. Mr President, we appreciate all the good projects” Zulum said.
Governor said Borno state government in this year 2020 alone, has started from scratch, 50 new health centers across various local governments in the state and that many other health centers were rehabilitated and furnished with modern equipments.
He further explained that Borno has approved the recruitment of more than 500 qualified doctors, nurses, other health workers and re-engage retired personnel, for deployment to healthcare centres where medical services are most needed by citizens.
Earlier in his remarks, the Minister of Health, Dr. Osagie Ehanire said the UMTH is the leading health institution in the Northeast and is known for its service capacity, adding that the structures commissioned will repositioned the institution in meeting the healthcare need of the region
He said ” 150 bed. Capacity Trauma center has vascular surgery theater, radiology center, orthopedic centre, among other, Will assist in no small measure in addressing the health challenges of the insurgency affected Northeast.”
In his address the Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the UMTH, Professor Ahmed Ahijo said ” the institution which was commissioned on 23rd July, 1983 with 600 bed capacity has now grown to 800 bed capacity and with the commissioning of these landmark projects and when the ongoing projects is completed, the hospital will have 1200 bed capacity, one of the largest in the country’.
He said ‘cancer is one of the raising disease in Nigeria but despite that the hospital does not have cancer centre, hence the move by the hospital to construct a Radiology centre to address the challenges with the commissioning of these projects, . I want to use the opportunity to appeal to Mr. President to approve to the institution to recruit it’s manpower needs to manned these facilities’.
In their be separate Goodwill messages, the country Director of the World Health Organisation (WHO), Dr Water Molumba and the Head of delegation, International Committee of Red Cross (ICRC), Mr Floi Fillion through virtual addressed assured the Federal and the Borno state governments that their respective organisation are always ready to partner and support their health institutions in the country, through technical supports and other collaborations.
WHO targets 2.5million children, as it flags off 4th round SMC malaria campaign in Borno
WHO targets 2.5 million children, as it flags off 4th round SMC Malaria campaign in Borno
By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri
In it’s efforts to reduce to the nearest minimal the cases of Malaria among the children under the age of 5, the World Health Organisation (WHO) in collaboration with the Borno state government have flagged off the 4th round of the Seasonal Malaria Chemoprevention (SMC) Campaign in the state.
Flagging off the Campaign at the Almiskin IDP Camp Maiduguri on Sunday, the Country Representative of the WHO in Nigeria, Dr Walter Malumba said ” this event you just witness here today is part of our comprehensive interventions to prevent Malaria from killing children below the age of 5 a ND others us to fight the vectors which are the mosquitoes and the commissioner just stated that the Borno government distributed treated mosquito nets to many people”
” Do far we have cover over 2.1 million children and we have exceeded 80 percent we are increasing be it. By doing be do up four times it will make the child not to contract Malaria and if even he do it would reduce to nearest mild”, Dr Malumbo stated.
He said the first, second and third round of the campaign witnessed some hitches due to COVID 19 and other logistic problems but thank God the fourth round the issues have been address and that they targeting hundred percent coverage.
“The malaria cases in Nigeria is between 29 to 25 percent which is far from eradication, as until it reaches 5 percent that we talk of eradicating it The WHO is more than ever committed to reducing the bearest minimum the cases of Malaria in the country”,Dr. Malumba stated
Speaking to newsmen at th
Speaking to newsmen after administering the drugs to the children, the Borno state commissioner for Health, Dr Salihu Kwayabura said ” you know one of our greatest burden particularly children below the age of 5 is the burden of Malaria it is an intervention from the Federal government and the state government and support by our partners particularly the WHO”.
” We did the first round in Kulukori, Damboa road and we are here today for the fourth round and probably the last one this year. We are targeting 2.5 million children and I am happy to inform you we have cover over 90 percent . So the exercise is successful” Dr Kwayabura added.
Earlier in his welcome address, the Secretary Jere Local government area, Alhaji Sheriff commended the WHO and the Borno state government for the intervention, adding that we have been working closely with the traditional and the religious leaders for the success of the exercise.
Unemployment: Borno Youth called on FG to establish Youths Development Fund
Unemployment: Borno Youths called on FG to establish Youths Development Fund
By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri
The youths in Borno state have urged the Federal Government to set aside funds through Youth Development Fund b to tackle unemployment, and restiveness in the country.
The participants in a 21 point communique issued at the end of the Borno Youths Summit which held at the Multi Purpose Hall of the Government House, Maiduguri yesterday and read by the state Commissioner of Youths and Sport, Comrade Saina Buba called on the Federal and State governments to intensify efforts in the area of women empowerment and inclusive participation towards making them self reliant.
The communique commended the Federal Government for it’s initiative to resume oil exploration in the Chad Basin Area and urged the Federal government to comect Matte to national grid and complete the Manbila Hydro Electric Power Projects to create employment to the youths and boast the economy of the nation.
“The youths resolved unanimously to uphold the unity and indivisibility of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. The summit coemmended the maturity exhibited by youth groups for not participating in End SARs protest as SARS as an outfit had played commendable role in the fight against insurgency and crme in Borno state. In same vein, the summit supports Federal Government in establishing new outfit as a replacement of FSARS to perform even better”, Hon Buba said
The summit while commending the military and other security agencies for their sustained efforts in fighting insurgency,called for the provision of adequate security throughout the state, so as to protect the communities that have resselled back to their respective villages and towns to facilitate socio economic activities in the local government areas.
The summit while urging for synergy between all the security agencies in the counter insurgency fight called on them to sustain efforts in the fight against insurgency.
The youths commended President Muhammadu Buhari for addressing all issued being face by the youths, especially in the areas of job creation and employment opportunities
The communique further said * the summit also commended Governor Zulum for upturning efforts in bringing stability to the state through the reconstruction of destroyed communities and youths engagement.”.
” We equally urged all tiers of governments to invest massively in agriculture as a panacea for engainging the teaming youths population in the area of farming and other related activities.*, They added.
Headlines2 years ago
Bombshell: How Corrupt Brigadier General Clement Apere Deliberately Sends Soldiers to Die in the hands Of Boko-Haram
National10 months ago
Nigerian Army Bans Another NGO from operating in the Northeast
Headlines2 years ago
Oil License Not Renewable-President Buhari
National9 months ago
Baga communities are now safe, return back home, operation lafiya Dole tells people of Baga and it’s adjoining villages
Opinion2 years ago
MAI MALA BUNI THE CELEBRITY OF THE MOMENT
Politics5 months ago
Ruling Borno is like Ruling a Small Country, I saw my children only 3 times in the first 65 days in office – Gov. Zulum
Metro2 years ago
FMC Yola Jummat Mosque Is One Year: Time Utilisation, The Last Qutba
Opinion2 years ago
YOBE 2019: Why Maimala Buni Will Emerge Winner