With Yar’Adua on Sick Bed, Two UK Paper Coys Outsmarted Nigeria
“My hands are clean, says Jonathan”
￼The several months late President Umaru Yar’Adua spent on the sick bed prior to his demise on May 5, 2010, paved the way for Process & Industrial Developments Limited (P&ID), a tiny natural gas company to hoodwink the federal government into allegedly signing a gas supply and processing agreement (GSPA) which may cost the country a whopping $9 billion following last week’s British Commercial Court ruling, THISDAY findings have shown.
If the judgment is executed and the aforementioned amount is to be paid, the UK firm might walk away with 20 per cent of Nigeria’s external reserves, which stood at $44.425 billion as of last Thursday, and 2.5 per cent of Nigeria’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
￼This is just as former President Goodluck Jonathan has washed his hands of the matter, saying that the controversial contract was signed in January of 2010, while he became acting President on February 9, 2010. Jonathan, who said this through his former aide, Reno Omokri, insisted that the cabal held sway during that period Yar’Adua was ill.
Meanwhile, a hedge fund managed company, VR Capital Group, which had knowledge of the matter, had in March this year, taken as much as 25 per cent stake in P&ID. Since then, the company has been trying to pull levers of power in the U.S. and the U.K. to make Nigeria settle or, failing that, enable the company to start seizing assets, Bloomberg reported.
￼The saga began almost a decade ago. Despite the country’s ample natural resources, Nigeria’s state-owned electric and petroleum companies have struggled to power the country. To help fix the problem, in 2010, late President Yar’Adua had authorised partnership with private companies to develop the nation’s energy infrastructure.
The Ministry of Petroleum Resources then, headed by late Rilwanu Lukman, had struck the agreement in January 2010 with P&ID, which was founded in 2006 by two Irishmen, Michael Quinn and Cahill.
￼However, a source at the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) yesterday told THISDAY that, “the firm awarded $9 billion judgment debt against Nigeria never scratched the ground to commence the project.
By the terms of the agreement, P&ID was to build and operate an accelerated gas development project at Adiabo in Odukpani Local Government Area (LGA) of Cross River State. The agreement required the federal government to supply natural gas from Addax Petroleum-operated Oil Mining Leases (OMLs) 123 and 67 for P&ID to refine into fuel suitable for power generation in the country.
According to the agreement, the initial volume of gas was about 150 million cubic feet of gas per day, which would be ramped up to about 400 million cubic feet per day during the 20-year period.
￼The Backlash over Executive Pension
But P&ID alleged that after signing the agreement, the federal government reneged on its obligation after it had opened negotiation with the Cross River State government for allocation of land for the project.
Sources within the Cross River State government told THISDAY yesterday it was unaware of any negotiations for land allocation to P& ID by the previous administration in the state. P&ID claimed that the failure of the federal government to construct the pipeline system to supply the gas frustrated the construction of the gas project, and deprived it the potential benefits expected from 20 years’ worth of gas supplies.
General Court Martial Sentenced a Soldier to death by firing squad, for shooting his officer to death, 6 others for various sentences
General Court Martial sentences a soldier to death by firing squad, for shooting his officer to death, 6 others for various sentences
By Madu Mohammed Maiduguri
Theb General Court Martial of the 7 Division of the Nigerian Army of the Operation Lafiya Dole sitting in Maiduguri has sentenced Trooper Azunna Mmaduabuchi to death by firing squad for killing an officer, Lt Baba Shehu Ngorgi of 202 Battalion Bama and 6 others for various sentences for manslaughter and assault and convicted to sentences ranging from 4 years to 1 and reduction in rank from Lance Corporal to private.
While Delivering his judgement on Tuesday at the Maimalari cantonment Maiduguri, the President of the Court Brigadier General, Arikpo Ekubi said ” in the case of Nigerian Army versus trooper Azunna Mnaduabuchi with service No 16NA/ 75134 of 202 Battalion Bama was found guilty of the offence of murder under section 195(1) of the Armed Forces law Cap of the Federal Republic. This offence of murder is to suffer death as provided by section 106(1) this sentence is to be carried out by firing squad . May God have mercy on your soul. This judgement is subject to confirmation by the military authority. provided under section 151(1b) of the Armed forces Act .”
” The court observed that your action is unacceptable to the Nigerian Army for emptying 9 rounds of ammunition on your officer .Late Lt Shehu Ngorgi the murder is a heinous crime, your action is observed with displeasure. justice is a three way traffic, justice for the deceased, justice for the society and justice for the victim, this judgement hereby closed the case”, General Ekubi stated.
It could be recalled that Trooper Azunna Mmaduabuchi opened fire on his Adjutant commander, Lt Shehu Ngorgi of 202 Battalion Bama on 29th July 2020 while he was chatting with his wife on phone.
Also delivering his sentences on Sgt Ishaya Sani, Lance Corporal Fabiyi Ayedimi, Private Abdurasheed Adamu and private Musa Bala who were charged for manslaughter, the President of the court sentenced them to four, two, and one years each imprisonment respectively.
In his case summary, the Judge Advocate, Major Chikwudi Okonkwo said in the case of Sgt Ishaya Sani, Lance Corporal Fabiyi Abudemi, Private Abdurasheed Adamu and Private Musa Bala were charged for manslaughter for tying the hands of the deceased Peter Okogu and flogged him with Dogon Yaro cane where he sustained injury that later led to his death.
While Private Mohammed Kuru was sentenced to 3 years imprisonment for opening fire on air at a wedding ceremony of his friend that led to the death of a 12 year old boy, Adamu Musa Kolo in London Ciki area of Maiduguri metropolis.
The court also demoted Lance Corporal Aja Emmanuel of 21 Special Artillery Brigade Bama from Lance Corporal to Private for flogging Rahman Abdallah, with the victims wheat belt and placed broken blocks on his back which inflicted injuries on his body
In his plea, the defense counsel, Barrister Adetufa Babatunde pleaded to the court to temper justice with mercy considering the years they put in the Army, their dependents and as first offenders.
Speaking in an interview with newsmen, the parent of the deceased Adamu Musa Kolo, Abba Kolo said ” I am happy today this judgement has proved to us and the the world that the court martial is already a hope of a common man and an imperial court, because we did not accept we will get justice. I thank Nigerian Army for ensuring justice is done to the soul of my son We are happy with the judgement.
Also in an interview, Barrister Jummai Mshelia of the National Human Rights commission commended the military for ensuring the sanctity of human life by ensuring justice is done and called on general public whom rights were infringe to report to their offices across the 36 states.
We are not deterred by the injury we sustained, we’re to go back and End Boko Haram Madness in our land -Wounded Soldiers
We are not deterred by the injury we sustained, we’re ready to go back and End Boko Haram madness in our land – sounded soldiers
By Madu Mohammed Maiduguri
Troops of Operation Lafiya Dole of the Nigerian Army who were wounded in the ongoing fight against insurgency in various operation within the theater and are currently receiving treatment at the 7 Division Medical Centre, Maimalari cantonment Maiduguri have expressed readiness to join their colleagues at the battlefield to ensure that the determination of the Army to end Boko Haram Insurgency in 2021 is actualize.
Our correspondent who spoke to Some soldiers who are currently recuperating at the 7 Division Hospital Maimalari Cantonment Maiduguri when the senate committee on Army visited the medical facility said they are more than ever committed to go back to the warfront to join their colleagues in the final push to end insurgency in the Northeast and the country at large.
The Senate Committee on Army was led by it’s chairman, Senator Mohammed Ndume said they were on a fact finding visit to the hospital on Sunday following a media report in some national dailies alleging that the Nigerian Army has abandoned troops wounded in the frontline .
While speaking on the alleged abandonment of wounded soldiers, a soldiers at the 7 Division Medical facility,Saidu Dahiru said “we are receiving the best of medical attention, we have been giving free drugs, feeding and some of us that need further attention were refered to University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH) and 44 military Hospital Kaduna, even yesterday 40 of our colleagues were flown out in an Air force aircraft to Kaduna for further medical attention”.
” In the coming one week InshaAllsh I will be discharged, I am not discourage with what happened to me, I am eager to go back to the battle Field and join my colleagues there untill we bring to an end the Boko Haram madness in our dear country, so that we will live in peace”, he stressed.
Another wounded soldier, Corporal Kolawole Omaseye, said ” I am not in any way demoralized by the injury I sustained during an encounters with Boko Haram insurgents who attacked our location on 23rd December, 2020 which was successfully repelled. I am more than ever ready to go back and meet my colleagues in the battle Field. We will not be detered by the setback, we will continue to perform our duties of protecting the territorial integrity and the citizens.”.
Briefing the Senate Committee, the Acting Commander 7 Division Hospital and Medical Services Colonel Ogbe Omoruyi said that the common injuries being treated in the facility include blast injuries and gunshot wounds, while severe cases are transferred to 44 Medical Centre Kaduna.
According to him the hospital is also partnering with other tertiary hospitals such as UMTH to ensure full recovery of wounded personnel.
In his remarks, the Chairman Senate Committee on Army Senator Mohammed Ndume lauded the resilience and sacrifice of the soldiers and urged them not to be discouraged in the fight against insurgency as the Nigeria Senate will continue to accord priority to their welfare.
Senator Ali Ndume while commending the Nigerian Army for improving the services of the hospital and expanding its capacity to a hundred bed facility, said ” I am here to see you, sympathize with you and told you that the Senate is with you and entire Nigerian are with you, we thank you for your sacrifice, we are proud of you, we are with you. We will continue to pray for you. We wish quick recovery”.
He said ” each time I visit the hospital, I see improvement and expansion. I am glad to know that the hospital is now 100 bedded capacity. The last time I was here there was no physiotherapy department and gymnastics facility and even the newly established Ear, Nose and Throat units.
Also speaking, the General Officer Commanding, 7 Division of the Nigerian Army, Major General Abdul Ibrahim said the sounded soldiers have been given the needed attention And wondered why some section of the media are trying are campaigning against the military.
While assuring Nigerians of the Nigerian Army determination to end insurgency, General Ibrahim said ” the Nigeria Army is determined to end Boko Haram insurgency in the year 2021. The Nigerian Army is for Nigeria and Nigerians We don’t have any other country than Nigeria all our hands must be on deck to end Boko Haram insurgency and other criminality in our land, “
Insurgency: Western nations have shown us more concern than Arab countries – Governor Zulum
Insurgency: ‘Western nations have shown us more concern than Arab countries — Governor Zulum
By Madu Mohammed, Maiduguri
The Borno state Governor, Prof. babagana Zulum has said that in the midst of challenges with the Boko Haram insurgency, countries from the west have shown more concern for the plight of Borno people than rich Arab nations whose people share similarity of religion and culture with majority of Borno citizens,.
Governor Zulum who stated this on Tuesday in Maiduguri when he received the Palestinian Ambassador to Nigeria Saleh Fheied Saleh at the Government House, Maiduguri. Zulum praised the Palestine for being one of the few exceptions, within the Arab community.
“I am a practical person. I work with the realities I see on ground. In the face of our challenges over the years, we have received humanitarian support from the UK and other parts of Europe, the United States, Canada, from Japan and a host of others who have demonstrated concern and have made efforts to support our traumatized citizens in many ways especially on food, medicals and livelihoods” he said .
He however, said that “the level of concern never came from Arab countries with whom millions of Borno people share similarity in religion and culture. We even have indigenous shuwa Arabs in Borno and this shows how our histories are tied. We have made several efforts, written and visited embassies of Arab countries, especially those that are rich and not dealing with crises, but obviously majority of the Arabs do not care about our situation, neither do they support us. The Arabs have not shown concern to us. Your visit however, has renewed our hope especially and we are very grateful for your visit” Zulum said.
EArlier speaking, the Palestinian ambassador who informed Zulum of their plan to support the Government of Borno State in some areas of need said “there are a lot of Palestinian companies in Nigeria, they are willing to work with the Borno State Government, we are ready to cooperate with you, we are ready to help in anything you want us to do that we can do”
The Ambassador also said many Nigerians are currently residing in Palestine, particularly Borno indegenes, some of whom have deligently served the government and people of Palestine
He cited that among Borno people in Palestine, a lady called Fatima Barnawi was once a minister and a police chief.
Headlines2 years ago
Bombshell: How Corrupt Brigadier General Clement Apere Deliberately Sends Soldiers to Die in the hands Of Boko-Haram
National12 months ago
Nigerian Army Bans Another NGO from operating in the Northeast
Headlines2 years ago
Oil License Not Renewable-President Buhari
National11 months ago
Baga communities are now safe, return back home, operation lafiya Dole tells people of Baga and it’s adjoining villages
Opinion2 years ago
MAI MALA BUNI THE CELEBRITY OF THE MOMENT
Politics7 months ago
Ruling Borno is like Ruling a Small Country, I saw my children only 3 times in the first 65 days in office – Gov. Zulum
Metro2 years ago
FMC Yola Jummat Mosque Is One Year: Time Utilisation, The Last Qutba
Opinion2 years ago
YOBE 2019: Why Maimala Buni Will Emerge Winner